Growing up, apple dumplings were a regular treat in our house. What I didn’t know was how we made them wasn’t normal. Usually, an apple dumpling is made with a whole apple cored and skinned and then wrapped with pie dough and baked. I chop our apples into cubes, use the Bisquick biscuit recipe as our crust and add homemade brown sugar sauce. I have had apple dumplings both ways, and I prefer the dumplings that I was brought upon. Believe it or not, the picture above is a dumpling filled with apples. I know that it looks like a piece of cake, but it’s not!
The crust is much softer when made with Bisquick, which is great for soaking the milk’s apple dumplings. That is how my family ate ours, fresh out of the oven in a bowl with milk poured over the top. It didn’t get much better than that.
I started with granny smith apples, peeled, cored, and chopped. To that, you will add a bit of brown sugar, sugar, corn starch, and cinnamon.
I had lovely big apples, so I only used one apple per Dumpling.
The dough is quick and straightforward. Measure out your Bisquick and milk and mix. The dough will seem a bit dry but don’t add more milk. Knead the dough. It will all come together. Roll out your dough to about a 6 to 8-inch circle. Place your apples in the center, and then fold the dough around the apples. Place the Dumpling in your pan and make the rest of your dumplings.
Brown sugar sauce is the next step to the dumplings. Mix the sugar, water, and butter in a small saucepan. Heat until the sugar is dissolved. Pour over top of dumplings and then place dumplings in the oven.
Bake at 350 ° for 40 minutes.
Serve warm with milk or ice cream. Ohh, they are so delicious! I hope these are one of your favorites! Let me know how you like the Bisquick Vs. the regular apple dumpling.
Bisquick Apple Dumplings
- 1 med to 1 large Granny Smith Apple
- 1 1/2 tsp corn starch
- 1 Tbsp Brown Sugar
- 1 Tbsp Sugar
- 1/2 tsp Cinnamon
- 1 C Bisquick
- 1/3 C Milk
Brown Sugar Sauce
- 1/2 C Brown Sugar
- 1/2 C Water
- 1 Tbsp Butter
- Preheat Oven to 350
- Peel, Core, and Chop Apples into cubes
- Mix apple cubes with 1 Tbsp brown sugar, 1 Tbsp Sugar, cinnamon, and corn starch
- Next make dough for dumplings, mix Bisquick and Milk
- It will seem dry but the dough will all mix together
- Roll dough out to about 6 to 8 inch round
- Place Apple mixture in center and fold dough around apples
- Place Dumpling with smooth side up into a pan. If you are making multiply dumplings a 9X13 pan will due. If you are making 1 or 2 dumplings I used a bread loaf pan for mine
- Make brown sugar sauce
- In a sauce pan over med heat mix brown sugar, water and butter
- Heat until sugar is dissolved
- Then pour over dumpling
- Bake dumpling at 350° for 40 min or until apples are tender
- Serve with milk or ice cream
1/2 c water with brown sugar? My dumplings were floating in water and dough never cooked from being so wet. Measurements are per dumpling. I may as well have just stuck with making a pie. This recipe is terrible.