It may be nearing August but we still have another month of delicious summer BBQs and campfires to look forward to this year. If you didn’t quite make it out camping, we’ve got the next best thing: 30 minute S’mores Casserole, topped with salted caramel!
The trick to this S’mores Casserole recipe is getting the chocolate filling just right so that it has a bit of a fudgey, creamy texture as it starts to cool once removed from the oven.
It’s best to eat this casserole nearly right away when the marshmallows are still melted and just toasted for that delicious campfire feel. The warm chocolate and Dulce de Leche are amazing flavour combos that just bring this treat above the level of indulgence!
We used Dulce de Leche–you may remember it from our Iced Caramel Machiatto post last week (leftovers from last week’s recipe development as a matter of fact!) and though it is time consuming, it is definitely worth it. All you have to do is take the label off a can of sweetened condensed milk and cook for 3 hours submerged in boiling water.
The result is a creamy, smooth, deliciously rich S’mores casserole perfect for large family gatherings and summer get togethers. Of course you can make this dessert for yourself, but you would be in for a whole lot of eating!!
Will you be trying our S’mores casserole? What are some of your favourite ways to eat S’mores?
- Half package graham crackers
- 4 tbsp butter
- 1 in can dulce de leche or sweetened condensed milk cooked 3 hoursa pot of boiling water
- 35 marshmallows
- chocolate chips
- Cracked sea salt to taste
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1 cup milk chocolate chips
- 4 tbsp whipping cream
- 2 tbsp butter
- Make ahead (the night before): For Dulce de Leche, remove the label from can of sweetened condensed milk. Submerge in large pot filled with water and let boil for 3 hours. Let cool and set aside.
- Crush graham crackers or blend in a Magic Bullet until fine. Add butter and press into a greased, medium-sized rectangular oven safe pan.
- Microwave all ingredients for chocolate filling and pour over top of graham cracker crust.
- Add marshmallows to cover entire pan.
- Cook in 425 degree oven for 16 minutes. Remove from oven and immediately sprinkle with chocolate chips.
- Once cooled for about 5 min, add Dulce de Leche to a plastic sandwich bag and cut a small hole in the corner, then drizzle overtop of chocolate chips and marshmallows.