So I recently went apple picking, and I must say – I went a little overboard. I have had more apples laying around than I know what to do with! I’ve endlessly been sifting through my favorite apple recipes to find an interesting way to use them up. However, there is only so much apple bread, apple pie and apple crisp you can bake before they all start tasting a little too similar. Don’t get me wrong, I love caramel-ly, cinnamon-y apple treats as much as any other fall fanatic, but I really wanted to switch it up a bit. That’s why I dug up this old family recipe that’s totally unique!
Today I am going to share with you my great-grandmother’s recipe for Apple, Chocolate Chip and Walnut Bundt Cake! That’s quite a mouthful isn’t it?! I must admit, I was initially a bit overwhelmed at the thought of this trinity of ingredients being crammed into a single bundt cake, but they make an incredible combination that is totally different from most of those classic apple treats!
This recipe is super simple and doesn’t require anything too fancy. If anything, I think it’s a delicious way to use up some extras you have in your kitchen! All you need is some staple ingredients, spare apples, chocolate chips and chopped nuts if you wish to include them. However, the nuts can totally be left out if you have an allergy or don’t like them, just increase the amount of chocolate chips you add to one cup!
Traditionally, my family members enjoy this bundt cake plain, and it is definitely yummy that way! However, I just felt like it was missing something. So, when in doubt, add frosting – right? I like to top this bundt cake with a thin, basic vanilla glaze to jazz it up a bit, but if you don’t care for sugary toppings, feel free to skip it. I promise you’ll enjoy this recipe either way!
APPLE, CHOCOLATE CHIP AND WALNUT BUNDT CAKE
- 2 eggs
- ¾ cup canola oil
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 3 baking apples, peeled and chopped I recommend using a variety. I used two McIntosh and 1 Gala!
- ¾ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips or 1 cup if nuts are omitted
- *OPTIONAL ¾ cup chopped nuts I used walnuts, but you can use whatever nuts you like or leave them out completely!
- 2 tbsp. butter, softened
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 4-5 tbsp. milk (I make my glaze pretty thin, add a little less milk if you’d like it thicker!)
- Preheat oven to 325o
- Thoroughly grease a bundt pan with your favorite cooking spray.
- Using only a spoon to stir (do not use an electric mixer!), combine eggs, oil, vanlla and granulated sugar. Stir until combined.
- In a medium sized bowl, whisk together flour, salt and cinnamon.
- Using only a spoon to stir, gradually combine wet and dry ingredients.
- Fold in chocolate chips and chopped nuts (if you’re using them).
- Stir in chopped apples.
- Stir with a spoon until all ingredients are well combined and evenly distributed. *NOTE* Mixture will be very thick.
- Pour batter into greased bundt pan. Use a spoon to ensure that it is evenly distributed.
- Bake at 325o F for 60 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Allow to cool in pan for 5-10 minutes.
- Remove from pan and allow to cool on wire rack for at least 20 minutes.
- Once completely cooled, drizzle with glaze (if desired).
- Enjoy! Store covered at room temperature for 3-4 days.
- Combine softened butter, powdered sugar and vanilla until completely smooth, adding in milk until glaze reaches desired consistency.
- Drizzle over cooled bundt cake and enjoy!