Bright, citrusy, lemon gluten-free waffles stuffed with fresh blueberries. Slightly crisp on the outside; soft and pillowy on the inside. So good you’ll want to eat them for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.
I rarely make breakfast. I mean, I do; it’s called Greek yogurt + a chopped apple + chia seeds + honey + granola, or occasionally oatmeal. That’s about as thrilling as it gets in these parts.
I do love breakfast foods, and whenever I find an excuse to host brunch, I always get nerdily excited about new pancake and waffle combinations I can create. You see, I am a morning routine person. I eat the same two things for breakfast every morning, and it makes me feel good, like all is right in the world. Yeah, yeah, I am a total freak about things that don’t matter. It’s cool.
So usually, I eat things like eggs, waffles, and pancakes for dinner. I love it. I get excited all day when it’s on the meal plan, and I’ve been trying to schedule breakfast for dinner once a week lately. All because of these waffles. Because they were that good.
A couple of weeks ago, I invited my family over for dinner. When they came in, and I announced that we were having breakfast for dinner, my mom was so excited. She couldn’t get over the idea (it seemed so foreign to her), and as we ate, she told me that she felt like she was in a diner but with better food. I love her.
I was so insanely happy with how these waffles turned out. Like, I even saved the leftover batter to make more when there was only enough for one more waffle because they were just so crazy good. The bright lemon flavor shines, and the blueberries almost melt into the waffle when smashed with the waffle iron.
They have that perfectly crispy waffle exterior while still being light and soft on the inside, and my family kept asking me if they were gluten-free. Yes, they are. But you will never know. Of course (as always), you can sub in whatever flour you like, but I legit love this baking blend more than any other flour I’ve ever used.
Blueberry Lemon Buttermilk Waffles
- 1 1/4 cups gluten-free baking blend or white whole wheat flour
- Two tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- pinch sea salt
- 2 eggs at room temperature
- 3/4 cup reduced-fat buttermilk at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 small lemon zest, and juice
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2/3 cup blueberries preferably organic
- In a large bowl, whisk together baking blend, cornstarch, baking soda, and sea salt. In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, buttermilk, coconut oil, vanilla, lemon zest, lemon juice, and honey. Gently fold wet ingredients into flour mixture until just combined, and some small lumps remain. Do NOT over-mix. Gently fold in blueberries. Let batter stand for 10 minutes.
- Preheat waffle iron and spray with nonstick spray. Transfer a heaping 1/4 cup of batter onto prepared waffle iron and cook until golden, about 5-7 minutes. Repeat with the remaining batter. Serve immediately. Leftovers may be refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 5 days.