Two classic warm-weather desserts are weaknesses for me – one is peach cobbler and the other is strawberry shortcake. I could literally eat half of a 9 by 13 of peach cobbler by myself – and a whole tray of strawberry shortcakes. And since chocolate and strawberries are a match made in heaven, why not chocolate shortcakes?
Many of the recipes I found for chocolate shortcakes involved melting chocolate in double boilers, etc., but using a spread skips this step and makes this recipe so much simpler.
And I have now found out that adding chocolate hazelnut spread takes shortcake to a whole new level of deliciousness.
These shortcakes are like chocolate biscuits – just crispy enough to soak up the berry juices. And rich chocolate is the perfect match for sweet fresh berries.
The perfect summer dessert!
CHOCOLATE HAZELNUT BERRY SHORTCAKES
- Serve with macerated berries and whipped cream
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Place the flour, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt in a food processor. Add in butter cubes and pulse until very small crumbs.
- Whisk together the chocolate hazelnut spread and eggs. Stir into the dry ingredients.
- Dump out dough onto a floured surface, and knead until smooth, adding up to 1/2 cup additional flour to make a biscuit dough consistency. Roll out to 1 inch thickness. Cut into 2 1/2 inch circles.
- Bake on a baking sheet for 15 to 18 minutes, until firm.