Cookies for breakfast? Well, these blueberry zucchini cookies you can eat for breakfast without any guilty feelings. They are also a great healthy snack or dessert for the whole family to enjoy. My toddler eats porridge nearly every morning. If your family has the same habit and you like to have some variation, these cookies are almost like a porridge baked into a cookie. Best of all, they contain some lovely ingredients that are now in season – that is blueberries and zucchini.
I was happy to spend last week at our summer cottage with my brother’s family. But what to do when you suddenly feel like baking and you are in the archipelago and the closest small grocery store is 10 km (that’s about 6,3 miles) away. I decided to make something I can find the ingredients for closer by. We’re lucky to have wild blueberries growing in the forest next to our summer cottage. So I went to pick some up. If you have been following our blog, you already know about our huge love for berries :). A few weeks ago we posted a recipe for these delicious blueberry popsicles.
I wanted to make the cookies healthy, so I decided to add some shredded zucchini. Zucchini is now in season and at its best, so I was able to use a locally grown lovely zucchini. I also needed an egg, and luckily there is a small farm boutique close by that sells eggs from the farm’s own chicken. Even the flour I used is made at our neighbour’s own mill. Of course, wherever you are, you can make these cookies with the ingredients you have at hand. If you don’t have any wild blueberries, you can use the grown ones or some other berries.
This was the first time I used shredded zucchini in a dough. I think it gave the cookies some nice moisture and it’s also a great way to add some hidden veggies if you have a picky eater. At least my toddler and my brother’s kids really loved these blueberry zucchini cookies. And they are not the easiest ones to please with any food. I think the adults enjoyed them too, because all cookies were gone pretty fast. My girl couldn’t keep her little hands away from the cookies while I was trying to photograph them.
This was one of those lucky times when you hit a recipe right on the first try of recipe making. At least I didn’t find any good recipes for healthy blueberry zucchini cookies, so here is my recipe. I hope it will bring some joy to others as well!
BLUEBERRY ZUCCHINI BREAKFAST COOKIES
- 1 ripe banana
- 1 egg
- 70 g coconut oil or melted butter
- 1 tbsp honey*
- 1 dl / 0 4 cups shredded zucchini
- 1,5 dl / 0 6 cups spelt flour (or oat flour for gluten-free cookies)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2,5 dl / 1 cup oats
- ½ tsp real vanilla powder
- 1,5 dl / 0 6 cups wild blueberries
- Preheat the oven to 175 Celsius / 350 Fahrenheit degrees.
- Put all the wet ingredients (banana, coconut oil/butter, egg) in a blender or food processor and blend until smooth.
- Add shredded zucchini and mix.
- Mix all dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, oats and real vanilla powder) in a bowl. Then add to the wet ingredients and mix well.
- Carefully add the blueberries to the dough.
- Layer a baking tray with parchment paper. Use two big spoons to form cookies from the dough and place them on the parchment paper.
- I made 8 big cookies.
- Bake in the oven for about 20 – 25 minutes until the cookies are golden brown.