I think I got this recipe from one of my roommates in college, but my husband was never a fan of it because it had mayonnaise in it. He refuses to eat anything with mayonnaise even if it’s mixed with a lot of other foods so that you can’t even taste the mayonnaise. Consequently, the recipe ended up at the back of my recipe box and stayed there for years.
It wasn’t until recently that I decided to switch out the mayonnaise for a homemade cheese sauce, and I have to say that it’s an improvement over the mayonnaise. The cheese sauce I came up with is made with butter, flour, chicken broth, cream, Parmesan cheese, cheddar cheese, and pepper. I served this for dinner last night with French bread. It was delicious. Enjoy!
Chicken Broccoli Casserole
- 2 cups cooked chicken cut in bite-size pieces
- 2 small heads broccoli
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 14- ounce can chicken broth
- 1 chicken bouillon cube
- 1/2 cup cream
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese divided
- Cook and chop the chicken. Cut the broccoli into 2-inch pieces and cook in boiling water until tender; drain. Cook the rice according to package directions. Meanwhile, melt the butter in a pan; blend in the flour. Add the chicken broth and bouillon cube and stir until thick. Stir in the cream, pepper, Parmesan cheese, and 1 cup of the cheddar cheese. Remove from heat. Preheat the oven to 350. In a 9×13 dish, layer the rice, broccoli, chicken, and sauce. Then sprinkle the remaining cup of cheddar cheese on top. Bake at 350 for 20-30 minutes, or until heated through.