Winter special recipe is here on our food blog “Corn Chowder with Ham and Potatoes”. Your family and guests will love this recipe. Especially, everyone loves to have one at bedtime. It is a kind of soup that appears creamy and delicious. You can try this recipe in any season of the year. It takes 15 minutes to prepare and 15 minutes to cook corn chowder with ham and potatoes. Let’s check the ingredients of this special recipe.
Corn Chowder with Ham and Potatoes
- Ham chopped – 1 ½ cups
- Potatoes large size, peeled and diced – 2
- Onion small size – 1 cut into cubes shape
- Garlic – 1 clove minced
- Butter unsalted – 3 tbsp
- Corn – 1 ½ cup
- Milk – 2 cups
- Chicken broth – 1 cup
- Water – 1 ½ cup
- Four – 4 -5 tbsp
- Thyme – 1 tsp
- Start with peeling the potatoes and cutting them into a cube shape. In a cooking pot, add butter to melt, and then sauté the garlic and chopped onions. It will take 3-4 minutes to sauté unless onions become soft (don’t golden them).
- Take a pan, and add flour to it. Beat flour and butter together. Now, add milk to the mixture and beat it continuously. Keep beating unless the sauce appears thick in texture.
- When the sauce starts to become thick, add leftover milk and keep beating it. Now, again when it thickens, transfer the sauce to the chicken stock and stir continuously.
- High the flame to medium and add potatoes. It will take ten to fifteen minutes for the potatoes to be cooked. When potatoes become tender, add corn. Keep stirring the soup as it may burn from the bottom. If the soup consistency is extra thick, add chick broth. You may add it up to you reach the required thickness.
- In a pot, add ham and olive oil. Sauté ham until it turns light brown.
- When potatoes are cooked, turn off the flame. Now, add thyme and then the cooked ham. Stir continuously and garnish with Parsley and ham.
- If still, the soup is extra thick, then add water to manage consistency.
- Can I replace the ham with chicken or beef?
Yes, you may use ground beef or chicken in the recipe. But, as the recipe name suggests, it is recommended to use ham in the recipe.
- Can the chowder be frozen for some days?
Well, there is no sure answer because the sauce is added to the chowder curdle if it melts. As the recipe is so yummy so you won’t need to store it.
- There are different kinds of potatoes, which should I prefer?
You can try any like Yukon Gold or others. It is up to you which flavour you like.
Everyone likes to enjoy soups in winter, and some are very choosy. It depends on your taste buds. If you like ham and potatoes, you shouldn’t miss this recipe card. Cook this at home and share your cooking experience in the comments. You can share your recipe hack as well in the comment section.