Shortbread cookies are one of the most popular cookies in the UK and Ireland. This simple, easy to make cookie is great for the holidays or for any occasion. It is also the perfect cookie to bake with children. This blog will show you how to make shortbread cookies in the traditional way. Baking shortbread requires just a few ingredients including, flour, butter, confectioners sugar and salt.
- Unsalted butter – 10 tbsp 142 gram
- Confectioners’ sugar – ½ cup
- Pure vanilla extract – ½ tsp
- All-purpose flour – 1 ½ cups 180 gram
- Kosher salt optional – ½ tsp
- Take a stand mixer that carries a paddle, add in butter and vanilla extract. Beat until a creamy texture is not formed.
- In the beaten mixture, add sugar and salt. Mix them well to combine the ingredients.
- Take the bowl separately and add some flour. Slowly beat the mixture.
- Scrape the bowl again to mix the ingredients finely.
- Knead the dough in a rectangular shape and then cover it in a plastic sheet. Cool it until it gets a little hard. It may take 1 hour.
- Up to 350 degrees Fahrenheit, preheat the oven. Use a sharp knife to cut ½ inch thick slices of the dough.
- Take a baking sheet and stack these slices in it 1-inch distance apart. The baking sheet should be layered with butter paper.
- By using a fork, or skewer, you can fork a pattern on the top layer.
- Baking time is 1p minutes and after 5 minutes, you should rotate the baking sheet to some extent.
- After baking, take out the wire sheet.
- To save time you can prepare the do a day before. You can even make the dough a month before as well and can be stored in the freezer. To store it properly, first wrap it.
- In the recipe, you have to use the butter at room temperature and if this is not available then cut the slices of the butter and microwave them on 50% power. Microwave them for 5 seconds and flip the butter on each burst.
- To enhance the flavour you can stop them with toasted nuts and spices.
- How to check if the shortbread is cooked?
When the cookies are ready, they start to change their colour from the bottom. For a more crunchy texture allow them to be baked for a few extra minutes until the edges turn golden brown.
The shortbread cookies and sugar cookies are not the same. The sugar cookies are made using egg and leavening agents. On the other hand, shortbread gives a buttery flavour and is less sweet.
- Is there any way to make shortbread cookies dairy-free?
These Shortbread cookies are more delicious than dairy-free cookies, but if you want to try then make them using pistachio and coconut oil.
Shortbread cookies are delicious and can be easily made at home. these cookies are popular this holiday season. Bake at your home and share with your friends. Send them as gift or invite them to tea party. Have fun.