Here we are with your favorite juicy homemade meatball casserole that is the spirit of our holidays. The amazing flavor, tomato sauce, and topping of your favorite cheese are going to be your all-time favorite dinner. You can make it ahead of time and store it in your freezer. Just take a piece and heat it in the oven and you don’t have to worry about making a meal coming straight from the office. For all your holidays it is going to be a great hit and you will love it. The cheesy, saucy, and meaty taste will burst your mouth with flavors.
For our holidays, we are always looking out for easy-to-make recipes and this is the perfect one. We have so much already and these recipes are a lifesaver.
Amazing recipe variations:
- If you like you can substitute the ground beef with chicken, pork, and turkey. The option is yours but we do recommend trying the same as the recipe.
- You can add some of your favorite vegetables to it. But, don’t add in the first baking step of meatballs. You can add some mushrooms, bell peppers, cabbage, zucchini, broccoli, and cauliflower. The option is always yours and it should be something that your family, friends, and even you like.
- Make sure to add extra cheese so the kids don’t see the vegetables right away. The cheesy look is enough to make them come to the table.
- If you don’t have mozzarella cheese at home you can use cheddar and Monterey jack as a substitute. They all taste amazing but the cheesy combination of mozzarella with the meatballs is outclass. So, do try with it and you can also mix some cheddar with mozzarella.
- If you do not have seasoned breadcrumbs at home then you can use almond flour as a substitute. It works just fine and gives a yummy taste that you should expect from this dish.
Baked Meatball Casserole
- Sunflower or olive oil
- 2 onions chopped
- Ground beef half kg
- Seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1 egg
- For seasoning: basil salt, pepper, onion powder, and garlic powder
- Tomato sauce 1 can
- Mozzarella cheese 1 cup shredded
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees while you are preparing your ingredients. Take a pan for the casserole and grease it. Keep it at a side while we prepare the delicious meatballs.
- In a pan or skillet add olive oil and sauté the onions. Make sure they are not too brown so cook them on medium heat.
- Take a bowl and add ground beef, breadcrumbs, and all the other ingredients except tomato sauce and cheese. Now add the sauteed onions and mix them well.
- You can use a scoop now or make meatballs from hand if you have experience. The shapes should be similar for your casserole dish to achieve the perfect look.
- Now, bake the meatballs for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Get the tray out and clean the excessive oil.
- Add tomato sauce and cheese (lots of it) to the meatballs. Bake for additional 5 minutes or more until the cheese is fully cooked.