I was on the way home a few weeks ago and realized I didn’t have anything for dinner. Because I still had a jar of pesto that I needed to use, I stopped by the grocery store for a piece of salmon and tomatos. The plus side to this recipe is that it’s super easy and fast. You’ll have dinner in less than 20 minutes and there is basically no clean-up. The downside is I found it incredibly bland. This is definitely a recipe that I’ll need to do a few times to perfect. For now, I’m blaming the pesto.
- 1 or 2 salmon filets
- Olive oil to grease the foil about 2 tsp
- Pesto about 2-4 tsp
- 1 to 2 to matos sliced about medium thickness
- Pre-heat oven to 450 degrees. Place a baking sheet in the oven while it heats up. Then tear off two pieces of aluminium foil big enough to wrap around the salmon and stack them on top of each other. Pour a bit of olive oil onto the foil and place the salmon on top. I was just making this recipe for myself, so I only used one salmon filet.
- Spread about 2 tsp of pesto on top of the salmon. To be honest, I didn’t measure. Just coated it generously.
- This was the pesto I used. And I’m thinking that it’s also the reason my salmon wasn’t as tasty as I had wanted. The pesto itself was pretty bland. Not that I’m a pesto connoisseur. I just grabbed this one from the 5 or so to choose from at The Market.
- Slice your tomatos and place on top. I used 3 medium slices from one tomato. I munched on the rest of the tomato while the salmon cooked.
- Wrap the salmon up in the foil. I just folded up the sides and then curled the ends. Take the hot baking sheet out of the oven and place the foil-wrapped salmon on top. Cook in the oven for 15 minutes. After my failed salmon attempt on Valentine’s Day, I was happy to learn that 15 minutes is the perfect amount of time for baking salmon.
Perfectly cooked salmon with soft tomatos. I’ve decided that next time I try this, I’m making my own pesto. I found about 3 different versions online. And thankfully my new blender is also a food processor. When I bought it I specifically asked if I could make pesto in it. I’ll keep you updated on how it goes.