Gyros are a popular dish all around the world and they are made in so many variations. Like you can never go wrong with the gyro recipes. You can even make it with ingredients that are just in your home. Customize it your way and they will still taste so good. It is one of the easier things to make especially if you have busy nights or you are a teen whose parents are still at the office.
I have tried so many recipes and they indeed save so much time. You just need a few vegetables and any sauce that you like with your meat. For me and my family, the sauce is always ranch because it goes amazingly with all of my gyro recipes. You can cook it in almost 30 minutes. Today, the recipe I am going to share with you is homemade hamburger peppers and onion gyros.
It is the perfect combination filled with perfect ground beef, spics, and vegetables that will spoil your tastebuds. I prefer mine with toppings of cheese and some extra ranch sauce because I can never get enough of this recipe. Among many Greek recipes I have tried, this one has always been my favorite. It reminds me of the tacos recipe because we will be using relatively the same ingredients here.
Just try this recipe of homemade hamburger peppers and onion gyros once, and you will see how incredible it is.
Should you use a tortilla or pita bread for this recipe?
Like I said above that many of the ingredients here will remind you of the taste of tacos. You can use both but I am using pita bread in this recipe.
Can you store homemade hamburger peppers and onion gyros?
You cannot freeze the gyros when they are already but there is a way you can freeze the ingredients. Put the meat in an airtight container and place it in the fridge for 4 days and in the freezer for 3 months. You can also freeze the vegetables. I would recommend using fresh pita bread because it can lose its flavor and get soggy. So, whenever you need it, you can instantly make it for yourself.
Homemade Hamburger Peppers And Onion Gyros
- Lean ground beef half kg
- Green and red pepper 1 chopped
- Olive oil 2 tbsp
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Onion 1 chopped
- Sour cream half cup
- Pita bread 4 You can warm it in the oven for 10 seconds on a pan
- Bleu cheese diced
- 1 can of Rotel
- Start by adding your lean ground beef to the skillet and cooking it on medium heat. We will now add some olive oil, green and red peppers, and onion to it.
- Let it cook until the color of the beef is changed and the vegetables are perfectly done.
- Now we will add the can of Rotel and mix it well with the prepared beef on low heat.
- Season it with salt and pepper to taste.
- Those who want to add some spices at this point can go ahead. You can add some hot sauce, paprika, Cajun seasoning, and anything you like.
- We will start preparing our gyros now. Place 4 aluminum sheets (you can cut two in half for the gyros).
- Place the pita bread on which you will add the meat and roll it with the help of aluminum foil. Top it with sour cream or any of your favorite sauces.
- I prefer mine with diced bleu cheese and sour cream.