Pepper soup is a traditional recipe in Nigeria, Africa. I saw this recipe online, and I instantly craved to make it at home. Traditionally, this dish is served with many condiments and is a complete meal. You have to try this if you ever visit Nigeria. It is made with bits and chunks of Goat meat and spices that makes it so delicious. I think it could be spicy for some people, but you can always reduce the ingredients to your own choice.
I recommend that you try this Nigerian classic pepper soup that is undoubtedly one of the best parts of African cuisine. You will find that most of these recipes have broth and a lot of protein. For protein, they use chicken, goat meat, liver, kidney, cow foot, fish, and a lot of seafood. You can use your favorite meat for this recipe, but I am going with mutton. I will buy fresh goat meat to make my recipe top-notch and similar to the original one.
I have also managed the spices in my recipe so everyone can enjoy it. You will find a lot of species in African cuisine. But, I do like it, and I would recommend you to try it once.
Stuffed Pepper Soup
- ½ kg Mutton
- 1 Onion
- 1 Seasoning Cube
- 4 Cups of Water
- Pepper Soup Mix – 1 tbsp
- Red Chili Flakes – 1 tsp
- Crayfish – 2 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Ginger Powder – 1 tsp
- Uziza Leaves
- Cut the meat into small pieces and wash thoroughly.
- Take a pan, put the pieces of meat, and put it to boil.
- Add salt, seasoning cube, pepper soup mix, and onions to the meat and cook for half an hour.
- When the meat looks cooked, add the red chili flakes, crayfish, and ginger powder, and cook for
- another ten to fifteen minutes.
- When the desired consistency is attained, add the Uziza leaves and simmer them for a few minutes.
- Delicious pepper soup is ready. Serve hot and enjoy with bread or yams.
- Instead of using ginger powder, you can also use fresh ginger.
- You can grate the onion beforehand to avoid any onion chunks in the soup and achieve the perfect consistency.
- Depending upon your liking, you can also substitute goat meat with chicken, lamb, or beef meat, even fish with the same recipe.
- For Italian herbs, use can also use Parsley leaves or mint leaves.
Make ahead and storage:
You can store the pepper soup in the fridge for 5-6 days and freeze it for up to 2 months. Make sure to reheat it properly before you enjoy it for lunch or dinner.
Is pepper soup good for you?
The famous Nigerian pepper soup has the essential nutrients that are perfect for the human body. The soup is an excellent source of protein, and you have a healthy and balanced diet. Moreover, the African people say it helps increase your immunity against fever and cold.
Can I use a pepper soup spice blend?
Of course, you can. It makes the process easy for you, and the flavor is terrific. I recommend using it in the given quantity as it can make the soup bitter.
Is pepper soup good for weight loss?
It is a great source of protein and a great yes to weight loss. You can enjoy a delicious meal and get all the essential nutrients for your body.