You will love these Hawaiian bacon pineapple chicken kebabs in a delicious sauce for the perfect BBQ on the weekend. If you have ever been to Hawaii, you might have heard, come across, or even tried these mouth-watering kebabs. It is hard to resist this fantastic beachside treat when served with Hawaiian BBQ sauce. It is famous around the world and especially in Hawaii. They also call it kabobs and skewers, but it is the same. The tangy pineapple taste indeed enhances the flavor, and the dripping sauce is perfect for spoiling your tastebuds.
The crispness of bacon, fresh pineapple, and charred chicken is a blast of flavors. I love the hot dripping sauce that is served with it. I make more than the required amount in the recipe because I can’t get enough of it. These kebabs are very addictive, and once you try them, you will crave them again and again. I make it mostly at weekends, BBQs, and big gatherings. They surely save me from a lot of cooking when everyone can enjoy these.
What is the key ingredient of Hawaiian bacon pineapple chicken kebabs?
Pineapple is the key ingredient of this recipe because it is the main essence of the taste. When combined with the kebabs, the grilled pineapple and its juice is undoubtedly a combination you cannot resist. I do recommend that you always use fresh pineapples for this recipe.
Is it chicken kebabs, kabobs, or skewers?
Like I said above, people call it by different names, but it is all the same. It is a traditional Hawaiian recipe you can make in a grill, oven, air fryer, or stove. Mostly, I make these on the grill because I get a charred and tender chicken. They also serve it in Hawaii with tomato sauce, but I always go for the BBQ one.
Should I use metal or bamboo skewers for the recipe?
You can use both for the recipe. The tip for using the bamboo ones is to soak them in water for an hour or overnight. It ensures they will not burn and last on the grill for a long time. For the metal skewers, you do not need any preparation. Just grease them with melted butter or oil.
Hawaiian Bacon Pineapple Chicken Kebabs
- For the sauce:
- Brown sugar 1 tbsp
- Pineapple juice ¼ cup
- Soya sauce half cup
- Barbeque sauce half cup You can use any BBQ sauce
- Olive oil 1 tbsp
- Sesame oil 1 tsp
- Garlic finely minced four cloves
- Rice wine vinegar 1 tbsp
- For the kebabs/skewers:
- Half kg chicken breast Cut it into small cubes of the same size
- Bacon 16 Remove the excess fat and cut it into small sizes for the skewers
- Pineapple fresh cut in cubes two and a half cup
- Capsicum 1 cut in small cube shape
- Red pepper one cut in small cube shape
- Onion 1 cut in small cube shape
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Mix all the sauce ingredients and keep them aside in a bowl or jug.
- Now, prepare your grill plates or pan while assembling the skewers.
- I am using the metal ones here, so I have applied a little butter for greasing. Start by adding one red and green pepper, onion, pineapple, and chicken covered with bacon. Repeat this same process 2-3 times on one skewer.
- You will be doing the same process until all the chicken is used. Now coat these skewers with the sauce and put it on the griller.
- Let it cook, and with the help of a brush, coat them with the marinate after every 3-5 minutes. Then, turn the skewer and let the kebabs cook until the chicken is done.
- Add the remaining sauce to a small bowl if you want to serve it with your kebabs.