Caramel frosting is to die whether you make cupcakes or a pumpkin cake. I just love it! It is perfect for birthday cakes, frosting for layers, pies, and cupcakes. If you are anything like me, this will be your holy grail frosting. I think I would rather have this one than vanilla or whipped cream on my desserts. It would be hard to say no to this delicious buttery and salty caramel frosting recipe I am sharing with you today.
The recipe is suitable for vegetarians who are looking for egg-free frostings. Moreover, it is free from nuts, soy, and gluten. If you like nuts, you can add them to your frosting, but I like mine without them. The ingredients that I will use for the frosting are readily available, and they might be in your kitchen if you make desserts at home.
Caramel buttercream frosting recipe
- Caramel sauce 150 grams I am using the one that you can easily find at any store. If you want, you can make your own too
- Icing sugar 150 grams
- Soft butter 150 grams
- In an electric mixer, add the butter and start beating it for 5 minutes. Add the icing sugar one spoon at a time to get a nice consistency. Plus, it does not create a mess on your kitchen counter.
- After the sugar is completely mixed with the butter, add the sauce and beat it for five more minutes.
- Your frosting is ready, and you can keep it in the fridge to let it cool. Or you can use it on your desserts and let them cool to enjoy this delicious frosting made at home.
- I usually make it in a large batch to use the leftover for storage.
Notes for caramel buttercream frosting:
- The ingredients quantity can be multiplied 2x, 3x, or 5x, depending upon your need. It will taste the same.
- You can get frosting for nine cupcakes using the same recipe and for a cake.
- Those using their homemade caramel sauce in the recipe should ensure the sauce is cool before use. It gives a nice blend and delicious taste to the buttercream.
- The butter should be in small cubes, and they should be at room temperature. The temperature should not be so high that they start to melt. You can take out the butter from the fridge half an hour before.
- The secret to smooth caramel buttercream frosting is to use the electric mixer at low speed. Take your time with the process, and you will get delicious and market-style frosting ready at home.
Should I use a thick or thin caramel sauce?
It is important to use the thicker or jarred caramel sauce to ensure perfect consistency. Otherwise, the thin caramel sauce will make the buttercream frosting runny.
Is this frosting pipeable for decorating cakes?
Yes, of course, it is. Just follow the recipe ingredients, process, and notes. You will surely get the lightest texture that you can easily add to the piping bag for decorating cupcakes and cakes.
What is the caramel buttercream frosting for?
It is a delicious treat that is mainly used for cupcakes and cakes. You can use it in many other desserts, like pies, macarons, and donuts.
How to store this amazing frosting?
As I said, you should also make it in a large batch to store the frosting for the future. Just take an airtight jar and add the frosting to it. You can use it for months, and it will still be perfect in taste.