Southern-style recipes are always unique, and they are so easy to make. Mexican cornbread is a delicious treat you can serve with soup, and it will be the perfect dinner. It does not require complex ingredients and processes that keep you working in the kitchen. The gooey, melted cheese and jalapenos taste to die for. I also add some frozen corn to enhance the flavors, like enjoying corn in my bead.
You can even make it with the help of a Jiffy mix, but I do not recommend it unless you do not have any time at all. Making it from scratch is easy, and it will be worth it. The taste s much better, and you will enjoy it for a long time. Also, it is a healthy choice to add to your meal, adding it as a side with your main choice.
How to serve Mexican corn bread?
I have served this delicious treat with green chilies chopped on top and any of my favorite sauces. You can even add cornbread with salsa and serve it together. Avocados and poached eggs are also the perfect options to go for. The best meat options for this recipe are bacon and sausages, which makes it the perfect dinner or an easy recipe for lunch.
FAQs of the recipe:
Additions for Mexican corn bread:
You can add some of your favorite veggies to enhance the flavors, like bell peppers, onions, green chili, frozen corn, and anything you like. When it comes to cheese, you can add cheddar, Mexican blend, pepper jack, and even Monterey Jack. All of these options are the perfect ingredient for enjoying this amazing recipe.
How to make the corn bread mild or spicy?
If you like spicy food, then this recipe is a perfect choice. I am making it according to my style, but you can spice it by adding more jalapenos with ribs.
How to make a crispy crust?
Whether making it on a pan, cast iron skillet, or baking pan, add the butter on the bottom to give the crust the perfect crisp.
How to store Mexican corn bread?
You can store the bread in an airtight container in the fridge for many days. You can also wrap it in aluminum foil and store it in the container for 1-2 months in the freezer. Just reheat it in the oven to enjoy it again.
Mexican Corn Bread Recipe
- Cornmeal half cup
- Flour 1 and a half cup
- Baking powder 1 tablespoon
- Sugar 2 tablespoons
- Salt half teaspoon
- Eggs 2 Beat them in a small bowl
- Buttermilk 1 and ¼ cup
- Vegetable oil ⅓ cup
- Cheddar cheese shredded or grated full cup
- Jalapeno 1 Remove the seeds and chop them
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F and grease a cake pan. You can even use a cast iron skillet here by greasing it properly.
- Mix the cornmeal, salt, baking powder, and sugar in a bowl. Add the oil, eggs, and buttermilk to the center of your dry mixture. Whisk it until there is no dry mixture left.
- Fold the cheese and jalapenos and bake them for 40-45 minutes.
- To ensure it is done, check it with the help of a toothpick. If it comes out clean, it is done. Cool it before serving at room temperature.
Recipe 2 from Butter-n-Thyme w/ ChefStevenPennington