Mexican corn bread is a savory, southwestern-inspired quick bread that makes the ideal accompaniment to chili, tacos, barbecue and more. This moist cornbread gets its signature flavor from cornmeal, corn kernels, spices and shredded cheese.
Unlike traditional sweet cornbread, Mexican corn bread packs a punch of savory flavors like chili powder, cumin, oregano and cayenne pepper. The addition of cheese, corn, jalapenos and scallions bakes right into the bread for delicious bites bursting with flavor.
Mexican corn bread has a dense, cake-like texture thanks to a combo of cornmeal and all-purpose flour. The bread bakes up moist and lightly sweet from just a touch of sugar. Served warm right out of the oven, wedges of this cornbread are impossible to resist!
This simple recipe comes together in just one bowl and requires no special techniques. You can have homemade Mexican corn bread on the table in about 30 minutes. Keep reading for the complete ingredient list, step-by-step method and serving ideas that make this signature side dish shine.
Ingredients You’ll Need for Mexican Corn Bread
Making Mexican cornbread is easy since all you’ll need are some basic baking staples:
- Cornmeal – Use yellow or white cornmeal. Stoneground provides the best texture.
- All-purpose flour – Provides structure to the crumb along with the cornmeal.
- Baking powder and salt – Leavening agent and flavoring.
- Eggs and milk – Bind the ingredients together and add moisture.
- Butter or oil – For the pan and bread for richness.
- Corn kernels – Canned, frozen or fresh corn adds sweet corn flavor.
- Shredded cheese – Cheddar, pepper jack or cojita work well.
- Onion and garlic – Sauteed to add aromatic flavor.
- Chili powder, cumin, oregano – Signature southwest seasoning.
Then there are all kinds of fun mix-ins you can add from jalapenos to cilantro. But first, let’s get into the essential step-by-step method.
Step-by-Step Instructions for Mexican Corn Bread
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Grease an 8×8″ baking pan with butter or oil.
- In a large bowl, whisk together dry ingredients: cornmeal, flour, baking powder, salt, sugar.
- Add wet ingredients: eggs, milk, butter melted. Mix just until combined.
- Fold in corn kernels and shredded cheese of choice.
- Add any extra mix-ins like spices, onions, peppers, herbs.
- Pour batter into prepared baking pan. Smooth the top.
- Bake 20-25 minutes until browned on top and toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cool 5 minutes, then cut into squares and serve warm!
Now let’s go over some tasty add-in ideas.
Creative Mix-Ins and Toppings for Mexican Corn Bread
- Scallions or green onions – Offer a fresh onion bite when minced.
- Jalapenos or green chilis – Bring on some heat if desired. Use minced.
- Chopped cilantro – Fresh herb flavor perfect for Mexican cuisine.
- Roasted red peppers – Sweet, smoky peppers lend great flavor.
- Chopped black olives – Briny, salty punch.
- Salsa or hot sauce – For extra flavor and heat.
- Lime or lemon zest – Bright, citrusy flavor.
The options are endless for remixing basic Mexican cornbread to suit your tastes. Now let’s go over the many delicious ways to serve warm cornbread.
Serving Suggestions and Pairings for Mexican Corn Bread
Mexican cornbread is incredibly versatile. Here are some tasty ways to enjoy it:
- Pair it with chili or soup for dipping into the sauce.
- Serve alongside tacos or tostadas for a fun topping.
- Offer it at a fajita or taco bar for guests to enjoy.
- Eat it with BBQ like pulled pork or saucy ribs.
- Crumble it over chili or taco salad.
- Serve it with cheesy enchiladas or burritos.
- Enjoy as part of a Fiesta spread or buffet.
No matter how you serve it up, homemade Mexican cornbread is sure be a hit side dish anytime.
Now let’s go over how to store leftovers and reheat.
Storage Instructions for Leftover Mexican Corn Bread
Leftover Mexican cornbread keeps well:
- Room temperature – Store completely cooled bread in an airtight container up to 3 days.
- Refrigerated – Wrap tightly in plastic wrap then foil. Keeps 3-5 days refrigerated.
- Freezer – Allow to cool completely, then wrap tightly in layers of plastic wrap and foil. Freeze up to 3 months.
- Reheating – Unwrap frozen bread and wrap in foil. Heat in a 350°F oven for 10-15 minutes until warmed through.
Proper storage keeps homemade Mexican cornbread fresh and delicious all week long.
Finally, let’s discuss the nutrition you’ll gain from this classic bread.
The Nutrition Benefits of Mexican Corn Bread
While it may seem indulgent, homemade Mexican cornbread offers some nice nutrition when enjoyed in moderation:
- Whole grain cornmeal provides important fiber for digestion and heart health.
- Corn kernels offer vitamin C, lutein, and carotenoids.
- Eggs and cheese provide high-quality protein and calcium.
- Jalapenos contain immunity-boosting vitamin C.
- Olive oil provides healthy unsaturated fats.
- Herbs and spices like cumin and oregano have antioxidants.
When made with wholesome ingredients, Mexican cornbread delivers nutrition as well as big, southwestern flavor.
Mexican cornbread brings the flavors of the Southwest to life in tender quick bread loaded with corn, cheese and spices. Easy to make in just one bowl, this savory bread bakes up moist and delicious.
Customize your cornbread with mix-ins like jalapenos, cilantro or roasted red peppers. Serve warm wedges alongside chili, BBQ and tacos for a perfect pairing. Store leftovers properly to enjoy all week long.
This signature side dish requires minimal hands-on time and comes together with common ingredients. Impress guests with scratch-made Mexican cornbread that offers a peek of nutrition with a big punch of flavor.
Mexican Corn Bread Recipe
- Cornmeal half cup
- Flour 1 and a half cup
- Baking powder 1 tablespoon
- Sugar 2 tablespoons
- Salt half teaspoon
- Eggs 2 Beat them in a small bowl
- Buttermilk 1 and ¼ cup
- Vegetable oil ⅓ cup
- Cheddar cheese shredded or grated full cup
- Jalapeno 1 Remove the seeds and chop them
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F and grease a cake pan. You can even use a cast iron skillet here by greasing it properly.
- Mix the cornmeal, salt, baking powder, and sugar in a bowl. Add the oil, eggs, and buttermilk to the center of your dry mixture. Whisk it until there is no dry mixture left.
- Fold the cheese and jalapenos and bake them for 40-45 minutes.
- To ensure it is done, check it with the help of a toothpick. If it comes out clean, it is done. Cool it before serving at room temperature.