Southern fried salmon patties are a budget-friendly and delicious southern comfort food. This classic recipe comes together quickly with simple ingredients like canned salmon, breadcrumbs, eggs, and spices. Best of all, it costs less than $5 to make this protein-packed family meal! If you love southern cooking and want an easy, tasty, and affordable dish the whole family will enjoy, these salmon patties will satisfy.
How Long Does It Take to Make Southern Fried Salmon Patties?
Southern fried salmon patties come together in a flash. From start to finish, you can have these tasty patties fried up in about 30 minutes. Simply mix up the salmon patty ingredients, shape into patties, then fry for 5 minutes per side until crispy and golden. Talk about fast! Even with sides, this whole meal can be ready in under an hour. The quick prep time makes this recipe perfect for busy weeknights.
What Kind of Salmon Works Best for Salmon Patties?
Canned salmon is the secret ingredient that makes classic southern salmon patties so budget-friendly. I typically use canned pink salmon for this recipe. Pink salmon has great flavor, flakes beautifully, and costs just a couple of dollars per can. Compared to pricey fresh salmon fillets, canned salmon helps keep the cost of this meal under $5 for a family. Tip: Choose bones and skin free canned salmon to easily remove any stray bones.
Should I Add Crackers or Breadcrumbs to My Salmon Patties?
Crackers and breadcrumbs both work great as binders for salmon patties. I tend to use plain breadcrumbs because I always have them stocked in my pantry. Crushed buttery round crackers like Ritz provide delicious flavor too. For extra crunch, use panko breadcrumbs. The type of binder is up to you and what you have on hand! About 1 cup of binder per 1 can of salmon is a good rule of thumb.
What Are Good Side Dishes for Salmon Patties?
Southern salmon patties pair deliciously with classic southern sides like mac and cheese, fried okra, collard greens, baked beans, coleslaw, fried green tomatoes, baked potato salad, hushpuppies, and more. Round out your southern spread by serving these tasty patties alongside any of your favorite southern classics!
Preparation Time: 10 minutes Cooking Time: 10 minutes Total Time: 20 minutes
- Salmon, canned pink, 14.75 oz.
- Onion, 1/2, chopped
- Eggs, 2
- Breadcrumbs, 3/4 cup
- Lemon juice, 1 tsp.
- Salt, 1/2 tsp.
- Ground pepper, 1/2 tsp.
- Begin by adding vegetable oil to a skillet, heating it over medium to medium-high heat. Ensure there’s enough oil to partially submerge the salmon patties.
- Drain the salmon can, reserving the juice for potential later use. Vigilantly check and remove any bones.
- In a bowl, combine the salmon, chopped onions, eggs, breadcrumbs, lemon juice, and a blend of salt and pepper.
- Thoroughly mix the ingredients and form them into patties.
- Fry the patties in the preheated oil for about five minutes on each side. Aim for a golden-brown crust on each side.
- Once cooked, transfer the patties to a paper towel to absorb excess oil.