Hummingbird Sheet Cake is not just a dessert; it’s a celebration on a plate. Imagine this: a cake so moist and flavorful that each bite takes you on a journey. It’s packed with the tropical punch of bananas and pineapple, topped with a luscious Caramel Cream Cheese Frosting. It’s the kind of dessert that makes you feel like you’re basking in southern comfort, no matter where you are.
Why Is Hummingbird Sheet Cake a Crowd-Pleaser?
Ever been to a party where the dessert becomes the main topic of conversation? That’s what happens with this cake. It’s the perfect blend of familiar flavors with an unexpected twist. The combination of banana and pineapple creates a melody of tastes that dances on your palate. And the best part? It’s a sheet cake, so everyone gets a generous share of this deliciousness.
Does This Cake Save Time and Hassle?
Absolutely! We’ve all been there, trying to elegantly assemble and frost a layer cake, ending up with more frosting on ourselves than on the cake. This is where the beauty of a sheet cake shines through. It’s straightforward, no-nonsense, and just as delightful. You get all the flavors of a Hummingbird Cake without the architectural challenges of a layer cake.
Can I Personalize the Frosting?
Go for it! While the Caramel Cream Cheese Frosting is a divine match for this cake, feel free to switch it up with a classic cream cheese frosting if you’re into something less sweet. It’s your canvas; paint it with the flavors you love!
What Secret Tips Should I Know for a Perfect Cake?
Here’s the inside scoop: use the ripest bananas you can find for a deep, sweet flavor. Also, stick with full-fat cream cheese for the frosting – it holds up better and tastes heavenly. And remember, gently fold in your ingredients to keep the cake light and airy.
Is This Cake Versatile for Various Occasions?
You bet! Whether it’s a backyard BBQ, a cozy family get-together, or a fancy dinner party, this cake fits right in. It’s like that versatile outfit in your wardrobe that works for any occasion.
So there you have it – the Hummingbird Sheet Cake. It’s not just a dessert; it’s a slice of joy, a testament to the simple pleasures in life. Give this recipe a try, and watch as it becomes a beloved staple at your gatherings, just like it has at mine. Cheers to good food and great memories!
Hummingbird Sheet Cake with Caramel Cream Cheese Frosting Recipe
For the Cake:
- Flour, All-Purpose: 3 cups
- Sugar, Granulated: 2 cups
- Baking Powder: 2 teaspoons
- Salt: 1 teaspoon
- Baking Soda: 1/2 teaspoon
- Cinnamon, Ground: 1 teaspoon
- Nutmeg, Ground: 1/8 teaspoon
- Bananas, Ripe and Mashed: 2 cups (about 4 or 5 bananas)
- Pineapple, Crushed (not drained): 1 can (8 oz.)
- Oil, Canola or Vegetable: 1 cup
- Eggs, Lightly Beaten: 3
- Vanilla Extract: 1 ½ teaspoons
- Pecans, Chopped: 3/4 cup + 1/3 cup for topping
- Cream Cheese Frosting or Caramel Cream Cheese Frosting: 1 batch
For the Caramel Cream Cheese Frosting:
- Cream Cheese, Room Temperature: 8 ounces
- Butter, Unsalted, Softened: 1/2 cup
- Caramel Ice Cream Topping: 1/2 cup
- Vanilla Extract: 1 teaspoon
- Salt or Fine Sea Salt: 1/8 teaspoon
- Confectioners’ Sugar: 6 cups
Easy-to-Follow Baking Instructions
Creating the Cake:
- Prepare a 13×9” baking pan by greasing it.
- In a large bowl, mix flour, granulated sugar, baking powder, salt, baking soda, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
- Add mashed banana, crushed pineapple with juice, oil, eggs, and vanilla. Mix until just combined.
- Gently fold in ¾ cup of chopped pecans.
- Spread the batter evenly in the prepared pan.
- Bake at 350℉ for 40 – 45 minutes or until a wooden pick comes out clean.
- Cool completely before frosting.
For the Frosting:
- In a mixer, beat butter and cream cheese until fluffy.
- Add vanilla, caramel topping, and salt. Mix briefly.
- Gradually add confectioners’ sugar, beating until smooth.
- Frost the cooled cake and sprinkle with 1/3 cup chopped pecans.
Pro Tips for the Perfect Cake
- Using full-fat cream cheese is essential for a rich frosting consistency.
- Avoid overbeating the frosting to maintain its thickness.
- Let the cake stand at room temperature for 15 – 30 minutes before serving for optimal consistency.
This Hummingbird Sheet Cake with Caramel Cream Cheese Frosting is not just a dessert; it’s a celebration of flavors and textures. Whether you’re a seasoned baker or new to the kitchen, this recipe is sure to impress and satisfy your sweet tooth.