Lemon Raspberry Scones are a perfect blend of tangy and sweet, creating a delightful treat for any occasion. Whether it’s a lazy Sunday morning or a special gathering, these scones promise to be the star of the table. Let’s dive into some common queries and tips to ensure your baking experience is as enjoyable as the scones themselves.
Can I Replace Heavy Cream in the Recipe?
Yes, you can substitute heavy cream, but it’s not recommended. While alternatives like buttermilk can be used, they alter the texture significantly. The cream lends these scones their signature richness and melt-in-the-mouth goodness.
Why Use Fresh Raspberries Instead of Frozen?
Fresh raspberries are preferable as they don’t bleed into the dough, keeping the scones visually appealing with a distinct berry flavor. Frozen raspberries might make the batter an unattractive purple and affect the texture.
How to Achieve the Perfect Scone Texture?
The secret lies in not overmixing the dough and ensuring your cream is cold enough. Overmixing can lead to tough scones, while the right temperature of ingredients is crucial for the texture.
Can I Prepare Lemon Raspberry Scones in Advance?
Absolutely! You can prepare the dough ahead of time, portion it, and refrigerate or freeze. This makes them perfect for easy entertaining, allowing you to serve fresh, warm scones with minimal morning prep.
Is the Lemon Glaze Necessary?
While the scones are scrumptious on their own, the lemon glaze adds a delightful zing. It balances the sweetness and enhances the overall flavor profile, making it a recommended addition.
Tips for Perfect Lemon Raspberry Scones?
- Avoid overhandling the dough.
- Chill the scones before baking for the best texture.
- Use a preheated oven for even baking.
- Let them cool slightly before applying the glaze.
Lemon Raspberry Scones are not just a treat for the taste buds but also a joy to bake. Their simplicity and exquisite flavor make them a must-try recipe. So, don your apron, and let’s bake some magic!
- Preparation Time: 15 minutes
- Cooking Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Servings: 12
- Calories per Serving: 282 kcal
For the Scones:
- Heavy Cream: 1 cup
- Butter: 8 tablespoons
- All-Purpose Flour: 2 cups
- Sugar: 6 tablespoons
- Baking Powder: 1 tablespoon
- Baking Soda: ½ teaspoon
- Salt: ½ teaspoon
- Lemon Zest: From 1 medium-sized lemon
- Fresh Raspberries: ½ cup
For the Glaze:
- Powdered Sugar: 2 cups
- Milk or Half-and-Half: 3 tablespoons
- Fresh Lemon Juice: 1 tablespoon
- Preheat and Prepare: Set your oven to 400 degrees. Line a sheet pan with parchment paper and place an oven rack in the middle. Chill 1 cup of heavy cream in the freezer for 10-15 minutes.
- Melt Butter: In a microwave-safe bowl, melt butter, covering with a paper towel, for about 1 minute or until fully melted.
- Mix Dry Ingredients: In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, sugar, lemon zest, and salt.
- Combine Cream and Butter: Mix the chilled cream with the melted butter, stirring until small butter clumps form.
- Create the Dough: Add the butter-cream mixture to the dry ingredients. Mix with a spatula until well combined. The batter will be thick. Gently fold in halved raspberries.
- Shape Scones: Spray a cookie scooper or spoon with non-stick cooking spray. Scoop the dough onto the prepared pan, spacing them 2 inches apart.
- Chill: Refrigerate the scones for at least 15 minutes.
- Bake: Bake for 18-22 minutes until light golden brown. Transfer to a cooling rack.
- Prepare the Glaze: While baking, mix powdered sugar, milk, and lemon juice to form a smooth glaze.
- Glaze Scones: Drizzle the glaze over the scones, allowing excess to drip.
- Ensure your cream is cold enough for the perfect texture.
- Don’t overmix the dough to keep the scones light and flaky.
- Refrigerate the scones before baking for the best results.
- Adjust glaze consistency by varying powdered sugar and cream quantities.
These Lemon Raspberry Scones, with their delightful balance of flavors and textures, are a must-try for anyone looking to impress with minimal effort. Their melt-in-your-mouth quality and the complementing zesty lemon glaze make them a hit for any occasion.