- 10 lb. garden beets
- 7 cups of white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon coarse salt
- 3 cups and 1/4 sugar
- 3 cups and 1/4 water
Ingredients to put in the cotton bag :
- 1 stick of cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon of coriander
- 15 cloves
- 1 /2 teaspoon coarse peppercorns
- Brush and wash the beets well.
- In a large pot, put the beets and add water to cover them.
- Bring the water in the pot to a boil and then lower the heat and simmer. The beets are ready when pealed by hand.
- Cut the beets into cubes or slices as desired.
- In another pot, put the water, sugar, vinegar and salt. Stir well.
- Add the cotton bag of spices, and boil everything.
- Let simmer for 5 minutes, turn off the heat and let macerate for a good 20 minutes.
- Remove the spice bag and add the beets.
- Boil again and simmer for 5 minutes.
- That’s it, now pour the beets into your Masson jars and leave about 1 inch of space.
- Add the marinade, until about 1/2 inch of space remains.
- Seal the Masson jars by boiling, submerge, for about 30 minutes.
Thank you and enjoy your meal!