- 3/4 cups softened butter
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup unbleached white flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 cups oat flakes
- 1 cup cherry spread (Double Fruit type)
- In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla. In a separate bowl, combine whole wheat flour, white flour and baking powder. Add as much dry ingredients as possible to the butter mixture, beating on low speed. Using a wooden spoon, stir in remaining dry ingredients and oatmeal.
- Reserve 1/2 cup (125 ml) of the oatmeal mixture. Press remaining mixture into lightly buttered 13″ x 9″ (33 cm x 23 cm) pan. Cover with cherry spread. Sprinkle with reserved oatmeal mixture.
- Bake in preheated 350°F (180°C) oven for about 35 minutes or until top is lightly browned. Place pan on wire rack and cool completely. Cut into bars.
Recipe taken from the book Our 200 Best Desserts and Cookies, by Coup de pouce, Les Éditions Transcontinental.