Pineapple upside-down cake is my favorite upside-down cake. This classic dish never goes out of style and is definitely a party favor. Pineapple Upside Down Cake is a throwback to the 1920s when canned foods were all the rage. It’s beautiful, glittering slices of sweet, sticky caramelized pineapple sitting happily on a soft, white butter cake. This cake asks to be served warm from the oven, with or without a spoonful of lightly whipped cream.
The recipe is a white butter cake with a hint of pineapple on wonderful caramelized pineapple. Caramelized pineapples are made by melting butter and brown sugar and dipping pineapple rings in it. These pineapple rings are placed in the pan with maraschino cherries in between (I didn’t use any because I didn’t have any, but it looks really good). Then pour the cake batter on top and bake. The mixture of butter and pineapple will create the juicy brown sugar filling on your cake when you turn it over before serving. It’s the best part of the whole cake, believe me and it’s beautiful. The cake batter is made with cardamom powder and pineapple juice. The cardamom powder really gives the cake a different twist.
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 stick butter
- 7-8 maraschino cherries cut in half
- 1 large can of pineapple slices drained
- 4oz unsweetened apple sauce
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup pineapple juice you can use juice from canned pineapple if it's real juice and not syrup
- 3 eggs
- 1 box yellow cake mix
- Whisk the cake mix with the eggs, pineapple juice, vegetable oil and applesauce until smooth.
- Place parchment paper in the cake tin (cut to size). then spray lightly with baking spray.
- Melt butter in a non-stick pan over medium heat. Once the butter has melted, add the brown sugar and start stirring. When brown sugar and butter start to bubble, pour evenly into both cake pans.
- Place pineapple slices on top of the brown sugar/butter mixture and half a maraschino cherry (cut side up) in the center.
- Pour half of the prepared cake batter into each cake pan and bake at 350 degrees for 28-30 minutes or the cake is done. Turn the cake onto a plate or