I love a great sheet cake recipe! They are so handy for taking a lot of time at a meeting, because they feed a lot of people … and really, who doesn’t like cake, really. Especially one made from scratch, yes? I have several recipes in my archives that I love, including this wonderful almond butter sheet cake, this decadent Samoan sheet cake and my all-time favorite… Coconut Lime Sheet Cake.
This cherry pie sheet cake that I brought with you today is wonderful. The cake is buttery and rich and goes well with the slightly tart (but mostly sweet!) cherries. If you’re a cherry lover, I bet you’ll love this fun cake sheet.
- 1 C butter, softened
- 3 C flour
- 4 eggs
- 1 3/4 C sugar
- 2 (21 ounce) cans cherry pie filling
- 4 Tb milk
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 2 C powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- dash salt
- 1 tsp almond extract
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
- Beat together 1 3/4 C sugar and 1 C softened butter until light and fluffy. This should take about 2 minutes.
- Add 4 eggs, one at a time, taking care to scrape the bottom of the bowl so that all ingredients are well blended.
- In another bowl, mix 3 C flour, 1/8 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp baking powder. Add these dry ingredients to the creamy mixture. Mix for 1 to 2 minutes or until the mixture is smooth and shiny.
- Spray a large cookie sheet with cooking spray. I like to use this Bakers Joy that has flour in it. It works great!
- Spread 2/3 of the cake dough in the pan and smooth evenly with a knife.
- Carefully pour 2 cans (21 ounces each) of cherry pie filling on top of the cake dough.Spread evenly with a knife.
- Spoon remaining cake batter by spoonfuls over cherry pie filling. Spread it a little with a knife.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean and the top is golden brown.Just like that! Let the cake cool completely.
- Mix 2 C powdered sugar, 4 tablespoons milk, 1 teaspoon almond extract and a pinch of salt. Whip it with a fork until smooth. Pour the icing over the top of the cake.Serve and enjoy!