My parents watched Kayleigh for us overnight last weekend, so John and I actually had some time to relax for a while. We’ve both been super busy and feeling under the weather for a while now, so it was a much needed break.
Instead of spending lots of time and energy cooking a big meal, I decided to make some meatball subs using my slow cooker. My slow cooker has seriously been getting a workout this fall. I’ve had it for years now, but never really put it to much use until lately. What was I thinking?? It’s so easy to have a warm and delicious meal ready for dinner time without putting a lot of time and energy into it, and without a lot of clean up.
I loved how these meatballs came out, and they were so tasty sandwiched in a toasted roll with some melted mozzarella cheese on the top. We had some leftover sauce and meatballs, and I used them to make a yummy meatball pizza the next day too!
Slow Cooker Meatball Subs Recipe
- 1 pound 90% lean ground hamburg
- 4 cloves of garlic (minced)
- 1/2 cup Italian style breadcrumbs
- 1 egg (slightly beaten)
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup shredded Mozzarella cheese (separated) plus extra for topping if desired
- 1 tsp. oregano
- 1 tsp. basil
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 1/4 tsp. onion powder
- 1 24 oz. jar of Tomato Basil Marinara Sauce
- 1 14.5 oz can of Basil, Oregano & Garlic Diced Tomatoes
- In a large bowl, mix all ingredients together, except for the marinara sauce, diced tomatoes and 1/2 cup of the Mozzarella cheese, until well combined. Roll mixture into 1.5 inch meatballs.
- Pour 1/2 jar of marinara sauce and 1/2 can of diced tomatoes into bottom of slow cooker and mix together. Place meatballs in an even layer on top of sauce. Cover meatballs with remaining marinara sauce and diced tomatoes. Cover and cook on low for 6 hours.
- After 6 hours have passed, remove meatballs from slow cooker with a slotted spoon and set aside. Stir 1/2 cup of Mozzarella cheese into remaining sauce in slow cooker. Stir until cheese has melted and sauce has thickened.
- Toast sandwich buns if desired. Fill with meatballs. Top with additional sauce and Mozzarella cheese, and enjoy!