Roasted chickens are a God send. Can I get an amen?
They make for a simple, nutritious and delicious meal with pretty much no cooking supervision and little preparation required.
I enjoy meals that call for more involved preparation and cooking steps on days when I have the time and inclination for it, but most of the time, I’m all about quick and easy. This chicken takes some time to cook — but it can be left alone the entire time while I take care of other things.
What I love about this dish is its flexibility. I can put it in my Crock Pot and let it cook for hours while I’m out of the house or I can roast it in the oven. Add some veggies on the side and voila! A delicious dinner for the whole family. Or if you’re single or just cooking for two, you can get a couple of good meals and some leftovers out of it that can be used in soups, chicken salad or other dishes! And don’t throw away those bones when you’re done — use them to make chicken broth! I love how much use it’s possible to get out of a whole chicken!
Slow cookers are a great way to save time and still prepare a healthy meal for yourself and/or your family (and aren’t we all looking for ways to save time?). I consider it a kitchen essential that should be put to good, regular use. I’m working to develop more slow cooker recipes to share in the future!
How often do you use a slow cooker? What types of foods do you like to cook in it? Share your comments below!
ROSEMARY LEMON GARLIC ROASTED CHICKEN
- 1 4-5 pound whole chicken
- 1 lemon, cut in half
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, finely minced
- 3 sprigs fresh rosemary
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- Sea salt to taste
- Ground black pepper to taste
- 1 garlic bulb ,peeled and divided into cloves
- Remove organs from inside the chicken and discard. Use a paper towel to pat any juices off the chicken.
- Sprinkle all sides of the chicken and the interior liberally with salt and pepper. Rub all exterior sides with minced rosemary. Sprinkle garlic powder on the exterior of the chicken.
- Squirt the juice of one half of the lemon over the exterior of the chicken. Stuff both lemon halvic cloves es, the rosemary sprigs, and 5-6 cloves of garlic inside the chicken. Place other garlic cloves on the chicken (placing them into crevices) and around the chicken.
- Cook in a slow cooker on low for 4-6 hours or roast in the oven at 400 degrees for approximately 1½ hours or until the skin is brown and crispy and the juices run clear.