Homemade Cornbread is the perfect accompaniment to a soup, stew, or beans. One of my favorite brands to pick up and use is Jiffy Cornbread, but homemade is easy to make, and this is my go-to recipe if I don’t have any store-bought on hand.
So how do you make Cornbread from scratch?
Let me show you!
Cornbread is a quick bread leavened with baking powder, not yeast. So with milk and eggs, other pantry items like flour and cornmeal, you have homemade Cornbread in less than 30 minutes!
Golden, sweet, and tender to the bite, there’s nothing better than homemade Cornbread, especially when it’s filled with diced corn and jalapenos, served warm with honey drizzled on top.
Homemade Cornbread is the best!
For other Mexican-inspired dishes to serve, try my Authentic Mexican Rice, Chili Con Carne, Barbecue Meat Bowls, Roasted Chicken, or these Tex Mex Stuffed Peppers. Enjoy! Recipe next page.
- Heat oven to 400°F. Spray the bottom and sides of an 8″ square pan, 9″ round cake pan with cooking spray. Or use a cast-iron skillet.
- In a large bowl, mix butter, milk, and egg until well blended.
- Add cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt, stirring until flour is moistened.
- Stir in the corn and chopped jalapeños (the batter will be lumpy).
- Pour the batter into the pan with even distribution and smooth the top of the pan.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove from oven and brush honey on top, let soak.
- Serve warm.
Love your recipes
Do you have a recipe for easy fudge
Can I leave out the corn and the jalapeños ?? Would that change the taste? I was looking for a good recipe for regular cornbread ?
I do all the time. My husband likes it with the peppers and I don’t neither like the corn. So I mix it up leaving out the corn in all of it and 1/2 the patch no peppers. They come out perfect.