- 6 egg whites beaten to stiff peaks
- 2 cups sweetened shredded coconut, divided
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 2 cups self-rising flour
- 6 egg yolks
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable shortening
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter softened
For the frosting
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 pound powdered sugar
- 8 ounces cream cheese at room temperature
- 1/4 cup butter softened
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Grease 3 8-inch cake pans and sprinkle with flour. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix butter until creamy and smooth. Add the sugar and beat well.
- Add the egg yolks and mix well.
- Sift the flour and add to the sugar-butter mixture, one-third at a time, alternating with the milk.
- Stir in vanilla, 1 cup coconut, and pecans.
- Gently fold in the egg whites until no pockets remain.
- Divide evenly among the three prepared pans.
- Bake for 25 minutes and transfer to a rack to cool completely
- While the cakes are baking, sprinkle a cup of coconut on a baking sheet and toast it in the oven with your patties for about 8 to 10 minutes, until brown and nutty. Stir it every few minutes to make sure it doesn’t burn. Then set aside to cool
- Beat the butter and cream cheese until everything is well blended. Next, add the vanilla and powdered sugar together and mix until well combined.
- Spread between cake layers and on top and sides.
- Using your hands, press the toasted coconut around the sides.
- Sprinkle pecans on top.
It is okay to make a double batch if you like your frosting very thick.
Can this be made in a 9/13 pan single layer?
Makes me hungry.
This is so good!!!
I would like to be able to print these recipes. No option available to do so. HELP!!!
Press ctrl and the letter p and print out what you want.
judy,this does not work….am i doing something wrong?
The introductory recipe calls for buttermilk and when I click on full recipe it gives me very different ingredients. Why?
how can i print these out?….at my age and with artis it is painful to try and write themout.
As the other person requested, CAN this cake be made in a 9×13 single layer sheet pan? That shows in your picture, but your recipe says 3 8-inch cake pans. Thanks.