- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1 grated carrot
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 small bell pepper, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons wheat flour
- 1 to 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups hot chicken broth
- 2 cups whole milk or half & half or whipping cream (optional)
- 3 to 4 cups broccoli, chopped
- 1 to 2 cups cheddar cheese
- to taste Salt and pepper
- Heat 2 to 3 tablespoons of butter in a skillet.
- When the butter is ready, add the chopped vegetables; once they soften for about 5 minutes, add the chopped garlic, mix and let it soak well for 1 or 2 minutes.
- Then add the wheat flour and make sure it perfectly coats all the vegetables.
- Add the cold milk or half & half and the chicken broth (I didn’t have any, so I heated 2 cups of water with a tablespoon of Swiss knorr).
- Cut into small pieces approximately 3 to 4 cups of broccoli.
- Once we boiled what we have in the pan, add the broccoli and cook well, covering approximately 15 to 20 min.
- Once our broccoli is cooked, we add the cheese; usually, cheddar (yellow) is used, but I had this one. Lower the heat so that it is not so hot and mixes perfectly.
- Let the flavors integrate and adjust the seasoning with a bit of salt and pepper to taste, and that’s it.
- I served it this way in a cream bread with salad and grilled chicken…it is delicious.
- The recipes are just a base. I do not complicate my life in the kitchen; if I do not have something, I change it for something else, or I remove and add to my taste everything is optional.
- Previously we have diced bell pepper, grated carrot, chopped onion, and chopped celery.
You can also follow me on Pinterest or join my group on Facebook