Fajita chicken casserole is a delicious, easy to make, and flavorful dish to enjoy on weekdays. It is super quick and has a punch of flavor we all love.
Mexican cuisine is all about heat and flavors. The thing I love about this cuisine is that the dishes are super easy to make. They offer flavors with minimum preparation time. And above all, most of these dishes are a single pan dish! So, we have just the right recipe for you for those who don’t like extensive cooking.
Fajita chicken casserole is a simple, delicious, and very wholesome dish. It is made with simple ingredients like shredded chicken, tomatoes, bell peppers, and onions. The dish is loaded with cheesiness from Mexican cheese. The punch of flavors comes from fajita seasoning that you can make at home or get from any grocery store. Drooling much? Why the wait? Let’s head to this amazingly delicious recipe!
Fajita Chicken Casserole
- 4 cups boneless cooked chicken shredded
- ¾ cup sour cream
- ½ cups chicken broth
- 1 ¼ cup diced tomatoes
- 2 bell peppers sliced
- 1 yellow onion sliced
- 1 ½ cups Mexican cheese shredded and divided
- 1 cup panko
- 2 tbsp fajita seasoning
- 1 tbsp fresh cilantro chopped
- In a large bowl, add shredded boneless chicken, diced tomatoes, sliced bell peppers, onions, sour cream, and chicken broth, half of the shredded Mexican cheese, panko breadcrumbs, and fajita seasoning. Mix well.
- Prepare the casserole dish by greasing it with cooking oil. Pour the mixture into the casserole dish and spread it evenly using the back of the spoon.
- Place the casserole dish in a preheated oven for 15 minutes at 325 degrees F.
- Two minutes before the timer goes up, take the casserole dish out of the oven, spread the leftover shredded cheese evenly on the top of the casserole. Place it back in the oven and let the cheese melt and get a golden color.
- Once done, take the casserole out of the oven, and garnish it with freshly chopped cilantro. Enjoy!
How to prepare fajita seasoning at home?
Buying pre-made fajita seasoning is super easy and convenient. Just walk into a grocery store, look for the seasoning in the spice rack, choose a promising brand’s product, pay for it and walk out. But, you can also prepare fajita seasoning at home, which is also super convenient. And the best part is, you can easily store it for later use! Here is how you can make fajita seasoning a home:
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp paprika
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp salt
Simply mix everything in a bowl and store it in a spice jar. This recipe generates ¼ cup or four tablespoons of fajita seasoning.