Smothered Hamburger Steak is more like a destructed hamburger with delicious onion gravy or a steak with mouth-watering gravy. We love it because it is quick, simple, and so delicious. The onion soup gravy is savory and has notes of sweetness and smokiness that we love with the juicy hamburger steak.
Now the only question that how to make this simple dinner? Honestly, it is so easy and requires few ingredients that are easily available in the home or at the grocery store. We also have serving ideas that will make your dinner experience divine. So why wait? Let make them now!
Smothered Hamburger Steak
- 2 pounds Ground Beef About 70 percent lean and 30 percent fat
- 1 medium Onion chopped
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 Eggs
- 2 tbsp Milk cold
- 1 tsp Dried Italian Herbs
- 2/3 cup White Breadcrumbs
- 2/3 tbsp Beef Bouillon Powder
- 1 1/3 cup Onion Soup canned or leftover
- ½ cup Water
- 1 tbsp Butter
- Kosher Salt to taste
- Freshly cracked pepper to taste
- Chopped parsley for garnish
- Mix eggs, milk, beef bouillon powder, salt, and pepper to taste in a medium bowl.
- Add onion and bread crumbs to the egg mixture and mix to hydrate the breadcrumbs.
- Add ground beef to the mixture and mix until combined. Do not over mix.
- Make patties to the desired size, and we recommend the size of the patty about the size of the palm and ½ inch thick.
- Make six even patties and set them aside.
- Now take the cast iron skillet and let it heat on medium heat.
- Add butter to the skillet and let it melt.
- Once the butter is foamy, drop the beef patties.
- Cook for 3 to 4 minutes on one side and flip to cook the other side for 4 to 5 minutes.
- Take the patties out on a clean plate and set them aside.
- Now, pour the onion soup, water, dried herb seasoning, and Worcestershire sauce in the skillet and gently mix to scrape off the delicious brown bits from the patties.
- Let the soup simmer for 4 to 5 minutes on medium heat.
- Add the patties with their juices to the soup and cook for 15 to 20 minutes until the soup thickens like gravy.
- Serve the patties hot with the smother of gravy over them. Garnish with chopped parsley and enjoy!
Serving Ideas for Smothered Hamburger Steak:
Here are the few serving ideas that will make this dish even more delicious and stand out:
- Mashed or roasted potatoes: Potato is a must-to-have with any gravy. No doubt we love to eat this steak and gravy with mashed potatoes and roasted potatoes.
- Roasted seasonal vegetables: Pour the gravy over the roasted vegetables and have a patty on the side. It is a perfect dinner for lovers and sophistication.
- Plain pasta: Pasta is the best carrier of flavors and an excellent carb option. Smother this steak and gravy over pasta and enjoy stroganoff cheat pasta with browned mushroom.