The Southern caramel cake is one of the best desserts that should be a part of your special occasions. Made with love, they are going to be your family and guest’s new favorite dish. Your friends will keep calling you to get the recipe. You just have to know the important tips and just the right quantity of ingredients to make this rich and amazing cake at home.
It is a classic cake recipe that we can have any time, not just on special occasions. Why spend your money on expensive cakes when you can make a fine one at home? Caramel cakes are always loved by everyone due to their sweet and little salty rich creamy flavor. It is been in the world for decades and it is a Southern favorite. There are so many variations of this recipe based on the likings of people. The one I prefer is the caramel frosting that is in the cake layers and also on the top. The luscious flavor is hard to ignore when you are a fan of caramel cakes.
Further, it is the type of cake you should feel proud of making. Not everyone can get it right, but if you do and you will from this recipe, consider yourself a true star. One important thing about this recipe is that I use salted butter. A lot of restaurants and other recipes online have been sharing the recipe with unsalted butter. I prefer the saltish taste that is the part of the original recipe loved by the Southern people.
Southern Caramel Cake
- 3 cups of self-rising flour
- 1 cup of butter salted
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup of buttermilk
- 1 and a half teaspoons of vanilla essence
- Southern caramel icing
How to make the proper Southern caramel icing at home:
- 2 cups of sugar
- ½ cup would be required of Crisco and butter
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1 cup buttermilk
- Take a saucepan in which you mix all the ingredients and put it on medium heat.
- Make sure you keep swirling the pan to mix the ingredients.
- When the temperature of the pan reaches 230 to 245 degrees, remove it from the stove.
- Let it cool at room temperature and mix it with a wooden spoon for getting the right texture.
- Now, whip the icing until it starts to hold on to the whisk.
- Let it cool now.
The procedure of Southern caramel cake
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- You should have 3 9-inches pans for the cake to prepare in the oven.
- Now, add the butter to a bowl, and cream or whip it until it becomes fluffy. Add sugar and whip it for at least 8 minutes.
- Start adding egg one each a time and stir before adding again.
- Add flour and buttermilk together but make sure that the beginning and end should be with flour.
- Add vanilla essence to it and mix it well. There should be no bubbles in the mixture.
- Now, add the mixture to the pans by properly dividing it. Heat it in the oven for 25 to 30 minutes.
- Now, put the layers to cool.
- Take one layer and add the Southern caramel icing on it and then put the other layer. Repeat the process and top the cake with the rich icing all over it.
Southern Caramel Cake
How much sugar goes in the cake and how much sugar goes in the icing? It looks like the 2 cups under the icing directions is for the icing but the recipe doesn’t say how much goes in the cake. Please help! I just started whipping my butter and have no idea how much sugar to add. Thanks a bunch!
Very nice blog post. I definitely appreciate this website. Continue the good work!
Yes I made this cake and it is a bit confusing, it calls for sugar in the cake batter in the instructions, but not in the ingredients. Then on the Icing is that half cup of Crisco, butter, or both? I didn’t put sugar in the batter, because I didn’t know how much. I’m just going to use butter in the icing. This might turn out to be one big mess.