This Tater Tot casserole recipe tastes just like a bacon cheeseburger. That would be because it has all the wonderful ingredients that would go on a bacon cheeseburger, all in one dish. Plus, it has the Mr. Saucy Seal of Approval.
I make a lot of foods that Mr. Saucy loves, foods like this casserole, that I never post. I’m constantly trying new things to please his meat and potatoes cravings, but many of them just don’t pass the Saucy-likes-this-too taste test. Well, this casserole did both; best of all, I didn’t have to completely reinvent this casserole recipe. It didn’t have any “cream of” soups or prepackaged flavor packets involved. Win!
There were some changes I made to it, though. Instead of using a premixed spice blend, I seasoned it with spices that most kitchens would have on hand. I used sharp cheddar instead of the American cheese the recipe called for, and I used more ground beef. Other than that, this recipe is one I spotted on the Betty Crocker website.
I think it’s important to at least partially thaw the tater tots before adding them to the casserole, because they get crisper. If you don’t mind a soggier tot, just plonk them on there frozen.
So, if you’ve been craving a bacon cheeseburger, toss this casserole together. No buns needed; comfort food at its best.
- 1 lb Ground Turkey or ground beef
- 2 cans Cream of Mushroom Soup
- 2 cans Green Beans or 1lb. of fresh green beans
- 1/2 cup Shredded Cheese
- 1 Bag Tator Tots
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. and grease a 9×13 pan. Brown the ground turkey on the stove top.
- Next, mix together the ground turkey and 1 can of the cream of mushroom soup and place in the bottom of a greased 9×13 casserole dish.
- Then, combine the green beans (drain if using canned beans) with the other can of cream of mushroom soup and spread across the meat layer.
- Sprinkle shredded cheese on top of the green bean layer.
- Top the casserole with a bag of frozen tator tots, then sprinkle with seasoning.
- Bake the casserole for 35 minutes or until the sides are bubbling and the tator tots are lightly browned.