Pecan Sandies. This cookie holds a special place in my heart because it brings back so many memories of baking with my grandmother.
Growing up, I used to spend every summer with my grandparents and one of my favorite activities was baking with my grandmother. We would make all sorts of treats, but the Pecan Sandies were always my favorite. The warm, nutty flavor of the pecans mixed with the buttery, crumbly texture of the cookie was the perfect combination.
I remember the first time I tried making Pecan Sandies on my own. I was in college and I was feeling homesick for my grandmother’s cooking. I dug out her recipe and headed to the kitchen. I was a little nervous because I had never made them without her, but as soon as I started mixing the ingredients together, all of those familiar smells and flavors brought back so many happy memories.
The best part about Pecan Sandies is how versatile they are. They’re perfect for a sweet snack, an after-dinner treat, or even as a gift for friends and family. I love to bake a batch and bring them to work to share with my coworkers, or to take to a party as a dessert. They always seem to be a hit!
One of my favorite things about these cookies is how easy they are to make. You don’t need any fancy equipment or ingredients, just a bowl, a spoon, and a few basic pantry staples. They come together quickly and before you know it, your kitchen will be filled with the warm, nutty aroma of freshly baked Pecan Sandies.
Baking Pecan Sandies always makes me feel close to my grandmother, even though she’s no longer here with me. Every time I bite into one of these cookies, I’m transported back to those warm summer days spent in her kitchen, baking and chatting and making memories that I will cherish forever.
I hope this story has inspired you to try making Pecan Sandies for yourself. They’re such a classic and delicious treat, and I’m sure you’ll love them as much as I do. Whether you’re baking for yourself, for your family, or for a special occasion, these cookies are sure to bring a smile to everyone’s face. Happy baking!
Pecan Sandies Recipe
- 1 cup of margarine at room temperature
- 1 cup of vegetable oil
- 1 cup of granulated sugar
- 1 cup of powdered sugar passed through a sieve
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp of vanilla essence
- 4 cups of plain flour
- 1 tsp of baking soda
- 1 tsp of cream of tartar
- 1 tsp of salt
- 2 cups of chopped pecan nuts
- A sprinkle of ½ cup of granulated sugar for topping.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C).
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together the margarine, vegetable oil, 1 cup granulated sugar, and powdered sugar until well combined.
- Beat in the eggs one at a time, then add the vanilla extract and mix again.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, cream of tartar, and salt, then add this to the creamed mixture.
- Stir in the chopped pecan nuts.
- Shape the dough into 1-inch balls and roll each ball in the remaining granulated sugar.
- Place the cookies on a cookie sheet, making sure they are spaced 2 inches apart.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 10 to 12 minutes, or until the edges are golden brown.
- Remove from the cookie sheets and allow to cool on wire racks.