Lazy day oatmeal cake is a fantastic recipe that has been around for a long time. It is my family’s favorite recipe that my grandmother used to make on weekends. I think you cannot ask for an easy recipe, especially for family gatherings and reunions. You can make it for the holidays and send it to your neighbors as the perfect treat. If you are a sweet tooth like me, this will be your easiest choice.
You can serve it hot from the oven or even let it cool for a while. I usually make it in large quantities and store the remaining to satisfy my cravings. Believe me when I say it is an out-of-the-world cake, and I recommend it to every sweet tooth. I have friends who ask me to make this cake even though it is just a simple recipe. I have made some changes to the recipe which you will like.
If you have a lot of people at home for Sunday brunch, then this recipe is going to win everyone’s hearts. You can 2x or 3x this recipe and enjoy it with some juice and tea.
Lazy Day Oatmeal Cake Recipe
- Eggs 2
- Uncooked oats 1 cup I am using the rolled ones in this recipe
- Butter half cup
- Granulated sugar 1 cup
- Vanilla essence 1 tsp
- Flour 1 and a half cup
- Salt half tsp
- Baking soda 1 tsp
- Ground cinnamon ¾ tsp
- Nutmeg a pinch
For the topping:
- Butter ¼ cup
- Brown sugar half cup I prefer to use the light one here but go for the dark too
- Cream/milk 3 tbsp
- Chopped nuts Any of your favorite nuts optional
- Coconut flakes ¾ cup
- Start with soaking your oats in the water for 20-25 minutes.
- During this time, start mixing butter and sugar in the beater. Gradually add eggs and let them mix to get a nice and light texture. Finally, add the vanilla and mix it well.
- Put the flour, baking soda, and spices. Add the soaked oats now and fold this creamy mixture.
- Add the prepared pan mixture to a baking pan and bake it for 40-50 minutes at 350 degrees F.
- Mix all the topping ingredients during the baking and add the topping as soon as the cake is made. Let it heat under the broiler to get a gold color on the top.
- Make sure to watch the process while the topping is getting done. You do not want to overdo it.
- Serve it hot and fresh from the oven.
Is it okay to put oats on a cake?
Yes, of course. Oatmeal cakes are pretty traditional, and they are outstanding. You can serve it with some of your favorite toppings and enjoy this delicious treat.
Is oatmeal good for baking?
Oatmeal is used worldwide in baking because it helps keep the texture great and supports the baking process. Moreover, it tastes good due to its nutty flavor. People also use it because it is a healthy ingredient.
Are oatmeal cakes healthy?
Yes, they are healthy and an excellent source of energy. If you have kids at home, then add it to their diet.
How to store oatmeal cake?
You can serve the oatmeal cake in the fridge for five days. It is also easy to freeze for two months in an airtight container.
On the Lazy Day Oatmeal Cake – what size pan is used? On the recipe it does not say what size to use? Thanks!
How much water to put the oatmeal in ???
Do you also add the water when you put the soaked oatmeal in with the other ingredient ?
How much water to soak the oatmeal?
What size pan did you use?