Are you looking for a unique recipe for sweet potato casserole? Here’s a recipe from my cookbook of the Southern Sweet Potato Casserole with a nutty topping of Pecan. It is a sure-fire recipe for your go-to casserole dish, perfect for this holiday season.
Tips and Tricks for the Recipe
It would help if you let the mashed potatoes cool down before you beat them with the eggs.
You can also boil your sweet potatoes as it tastes perfect. For me, roasted and boiled potatoes are excellent choices for the recipe.
I also serve this dish as a dessert with a scoop of vanilla or caramel sauce. It is always a perfect serving if your dinner is light.
Can I use yams instead of sweet potatoes?
Yes, of course, you can. Some of the yam types are a little different, but you will find a lot of variety at the grocery store. The actual yams have brown skin, like tree bark. You can use it instead of the sweet potatoes, but I prefer you stick with my recipe ingredients to get the best results.
What are the different types of sweet potatoes?
There are three types of sweet potatoes white, orange, and purple. I am using the regular orange ones for this recipe because they are perfect for the dish.
Can you make this recipe ahead of time?
Yes, of course, you can. Just make the sweet potatoes before time and whip them up nicely. Store it in a casserole dish by covering it with aluminum foil. You can keep it as it is for two days without worrying about the freshness of your potatoes.
Even you can make the toppings ahead of time but separately stored. Just bake it wherever you want to serve it, and it is ready to go in the oven.
Let’s dive into the process of making the best sweet potato casserole:
Southern Style Sweet Potato Casserole Recipe
- Before you start preparing the mixture, set the oven to 350°F.
- First, you will prepare the sweet potato mixture. Peel the sweet potatoes and cut them into small cubes. Take a saucepan, add some water, and let it boil. Transfer the sweet potato cubes to it and cook for about 15 minutes.
- Once they are tender, drain the water and dish out the sweet potatoes in a large bowl.
- Mash the sweet potatoes, add the eggs, and mix well.
- Add white sugar, butter, milk, and vanilla extract and stir until the mixture is well combined. Transfer the mixture to a baking pan.
- For the pecan topping, take a bowl, and add brown sugar and all-purpose flour. Add the butter and mix until a thick and coarse texture is achieved.
- Add the diced pecans and mix well.
- Now sprinkle this pecan topping over the sweet potato mixture.
- Shift the pan into the oven and bake for about 30 minutes until the top surface is slightly brown.
- Your sweet potato casserole is done; enjoy it with a scoop of vanilla!