Oh, Taco Bell’s Mexican Pizza. We know it, we love it, but then – they discontinued it! Worry not; your kitchen is about to become the newest hotspot for this beloved dish. You don’t need a drive-thru; all you need is some zest for cooking and a love for tacos.
A Legendary Dish: What’s the Big Deal?
Why are we so obsessed with Taco Bell’s Mexican Pizza? Maybe it’s the crispy tortillas acting as crust, the seasoned meat, the refried beans, or perhaps the fusion of tastes that dances in your mouth. It’s more than fast food; it’s a craving-satisfying genius of a meal.
Your Kitchen Ingredients
No need for fancy stuff here! Just grab:
- Ground beef or turkey
- Onion, garlic (fresh is best!)
- Taco Seasoning (store-bought or homemade, you choose!)
- Flour tortillas (soft, 6″ size)
- Shredded Mexican Cheese (as much as you like)
- Salsa or taco sauce (your favorites)
- Optional but delicious: tomatoes, olives, green onions
Homemade Mexican Pizza: Let’s Get Cooking!
- Meat First: Brown it, season it, make it your own!
- Tortilla Time: A little browning on each side – perfect!
- Building the Pizza: Layer the beans, meat, another tortilla, then sauce, tomatoes, green onions, cheese, olives. Phew! That’s a lot of goodness!
- Into the Oven: Broil until the cheese is bubbly. Your kitchen will smell amazing!
- Enjoy: Slice it like a pizza, enjoy it like a taco.
Questions You Might Have
- Why did Taco Bell do away with this gem? New menu items needed space, but we have our ways at home!
- Corn or flour tortillas? Flour for this one, but hey, you’re the chef here!
- What’s that Taco Bell sauce? Not pizza sauce at all; it’s taco sauce, and it’s delightful.
Wrap it Up!
No Taco Bell? No problem! You’ve got everything to make your own Mexican Pizza that tastes even better. Trust me, once you go homemade, you might never look back. Gather the family for a Taco Tuesday like no other, and let the fiesta begin in your kitchen!
Copycat Taco Bell Mexican Pizza
- Beef Base : 1-1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef
- Veggies: 1 small onion diced; 2-3 cloves of garlic, minced
- Seasoning : 1 packet Taco Bell Taco Seasoning or your own homemade; Salt and Pepper to taste
- Beans : 1 15-ounce can Fat-Free refried beans, warmed
- Sauce : Salsa or taco sauce your choice; Taco Bell Taco Sauce is perfect!
- Tortillas : 8 – 6" flour tortillas soft taco size
- Cheese : 2 cups Shredded Mexican Cheese divided
- Fresh Add-ons : Tops of 4 Green Onions sliced; 4 Roma-sized tomatoes, diced; Sliced black olives (optional)
- For Cooking : Non-Stick Cooking Spray
- Prepare the Beef: In a skillet, brown the ground beef with onions and garlic. Add salt and pepper to taste, drain, and toss in the taco seasoning packet and 1/4 cup water. Simmer it all together for about 10 minutes, and then set aside.
- Tortillas – Time to Shine: Grab a small skillet, spray with non-stick cooking spray, and heat it over medium heat. Now, place a tortilla in the skillet and let it slightly brown. Flip it over and do the other side. Repeat for all 8 tortillas, placing them on paper towels afterward.
- Build the Pizzas: This is the fun part! Use about 1/3 cup of refried beans for each pizza, top with about 1/2 cup beef mixture, and spread to coat. Now, top with another tortilla.
- Quick Broil: Slide them under a broiler set on low for about 5 minutes.
- Topping Galore: Remove from the oven, spread with 2-3 tablespoons of salsa/taco sauce, and sprinkle with tomatoes, green onions, and cheese. Love olives? Add them too!
- Final Broil: Now, broil on high for 3-5 minutes or until the cheese has melted to perfection.
- Serve It Up: Remove from the oven, plate, slice, and behold your culinary masterpiece!
- Dig In!: Sit back, admire your handiwork, and then dig in! You’ve just made a classic, right in your own kitchen.