I have never had New York Cheesecake before. I always eat a chocolate mousse or chocolate cake and nothing else. When I came across this recipe for New York Cheesecake I wanted to give it a try as I had all ingredients on hand. It was also an easy way to use all the cream cheese I had. I so did the right thing. Seriously.. this is one yummy dessert. I am regretting for not having tried cheesecake in the past. It is so rich and creamy, sweet yet slightly sour. Yummy. I had very few blueberries at home and I made a sauce using them. My husband loved the sauce the most. next time I bake this I will add a thicker crust as both I and my husband loved the crust too. I prefer these individual cheesecakes to making one large cheesecake. Next time I will also make a batch of bite sized cheesecake using my mini muffin pan. I will update when I make them.
Digestive biscuits – 50 gms crushed
Sugar – 1/2 Tablespoon
Butter – 2-2.5 Tablespoons
Cream cheese – 275 gms (I used 15 kiri cheese squares)
Sugar – 1/3 cup, 65 gms
Salt a very small pinch
Egg – 1 at room temperature
Vanilla extract- 1/2 teaspoon
Lemon zest – 1/4 teaspoon
Sour cream – 1/4 cup (I used yogurt)
Blueberries- 1/2 cup
Sugar – 1 1/2 Tablespoon
Cornflour – 3/4 teaspoon
Cinnamon powder very small pinch (optional)
Salt very small pinch
Water – 2 Tablespoons
Vanilla extract a drop (optional)
Lemon zest a small pinch (optional)
Lemon juice – 1/4 teaspoon or as per taste
- Crush the digestive biscuits to make a coarse powder.
- Add sugar and mix both till combined.
- Melt butter and add it to the crushed biscuits and mix with a spoon.
- Line a muffin tin with paper liners or grease silicone baking moulds with butter.
- Place equal amounts of the crushed biscuits crust in the base and level it with your fingers.
- Cover with cling wrap and refrigerate till filling is ready.
- Preheat oven to 150C
- In a mixing bowl add the cream cheese and beat it till it turns creamy and smooth. I used stand mixer.
- Add sugar and salt and mix.
- Add the egg and mix till it is incorporated. Do not over mix or beat on high speed as that will add too much air.
- Add vanilla extract, lemon zest and yogurt and beat til it is incorporated.
- Add the filling on top of the crust.
- Bake for 16-20 minutes or till it turns firm. The center should wobble a little.
- Remove from oven and let it cool completely.
- Cover with cling wrap and refrigerate for 4-5 hours or longer. Covered and refrigerated cheesecakes stay good for several days.
- In a saucepan add sugar, cornflour, water, salt and cinnamon if using.
- Mix till sugar dissolves and it turns smooth.
- Add washed blueberries and mix over low heat.
- Cook for about 3-5 minutes till the sauce thickens. Some blueberries will break.
- Switch off flame. Add vanilla extract and lemon zest if using. Add lemon juice and mix.
- Let it cool completely and refrigerate in airtight container. It stays good for a week.
- To serve remove the cheesecake from refrigerator, peel paper liner or remove from mould and place on serving plate.
- Add some blueberry sauce on top.
- You can also serve with fresh berries and drizzle some chocolate sauce.
Enjoy New York Cheesecake with Blueberry Sauce
What the heck is a digestive biscuit? Where do you find them?