This mini slow-cooked meatloaf is tender and juicy and so easy to prepare! Made with onions, garlic, spices and topped with a sweet and sour sauce. This easy recipe makes the perfect serving size for one or two people. Recipe includes instructions on how to convert a Crockpot or Crockpot-style slow cooker to a single serving.
I love a good meatloaf recipe – I consider it the ultimate comfort food. When meatloaf is simple, full of flavour and perfectly tender and juicy, it’s a winner.
We have a wonderful Bacon Cheese Meatloaf for One recipe here at One Dish Kitchen and believe me, it’s fabulous. This particular meatloaf is cheesy, filled with bacon and reminds me of a bacon cheeseburger without the bread.
But if you are looking for a meatloaf recipe that is a little more traditional and not cheesy at all, then this Crockpot meatloaf recipe is the one you will love.
You might wonder why someone would make a meatloaf in a slow cooker or crock pot when it could easily be made in the oven.
Well, to cook a meatloaf in an oven is, of course, a great idea. But what if you’re busy all day and would like to come home to a home-cooked meal already prepared and waiting for you?
That’s when a Crockpot meatloaf is the perfect meal.
With this Crockpot meatloaf recipe you will discover that meatloaf is tender and juicy. My method for a tender and tasty meatloaf involves a quick and easy extra step and is well worth it.
- black pepper
- Worcestershire sauce
- chopped onions
- dried thyme
- ground beef
- breadcrumbs (instead of breadcrumbs, you can replace 3 tablespoons of oat or almond flour or use 4 tablespoons of old-fashioned oat flakes)
- Cut 1 foot of aluminum foil in half lengthwise. fold each strip in half lengthwise to create two long strips.
- Place the foil strips on the bottom of the slow cooker or crock pot in a cross pattern.
- Cut the strips so that they are flush with the edge or under the edge so that they do not interfere with the lid of the slow cooker.
- Spray the foil and the slow cooker with non-stick spray.
- Professional tip: The reason I use foil is that the meatloaf can easily be lifted out of the bowl, leaving the oil behind.
- Cook chopped onions and a clove of garlic in a little butter in a small frying pan. When the onions start to soften, add the dried thyme, salt and black pepper.
- Professional tip: Cooking the vegetables in butter is the secret of a juicy and soft meatloaf.
- Pour the cooked onions and garlic into a large bowl and add 1/2 pound of ground beef.
- To the beef, add Worcestershire sauce, an egg and breadcrumbs, almond flour or oatmeal to help hold it together.
- Combine the ingredients, shape the meat into a round or oval shape and put the meatloaf in your slow cooker.
- Cook the meatloaf over low heat for 6 hours.
- When you have about 30 minutes left to cook, mix 1/4 cup ketchup combined with 1 tablespoon of molasses and place the mixture on top of the meatloaf.
- Put the lid back on the slow cooker and cook for another 30 minutes.