Quick Cinnamon Swirl Bread is a wonderful breakfast treat. I don’t always have time to make my traditional cinnamon yeast bread and find this recipe has been a life saver. It is easy to make the night before, I slip it into a plastic bag and am all ready to serve the next morning. It’s also great toasted, don’t forget to smear on some butter, heavenly! Cinnamon is my favorite spice and this bread really has a cinnamon flavor that I love.
Cinnamon just puts me into a great mood for the balance of the day, more than anything else. Correction, I love Krispy Kreme Doughnuts too, but I don’t live close to one of their stores….sadly! So I save that treat for vacations.
Back to Quick Cinnamon Swirl Bread, this is a moist, soft bread. You can cut a piece as soon as it is cooled but I have found that the top, which can be a little crunchy, cuts better after setting a few hours or overnight in a plastic bag. When you bake this bread your whole house will smell like cinnamon. I use a Vietnamese Cinnamon that I order from Penzeys Spices, it is more expensive than grocery store offerings but the taste and smell is worth every extra penny.
Quick Cinnamon Swirl Bread
- 1-1/2 cups sugar, divided
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 3 teaspoons ground cinnamon, divided
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 350°. In a large bowl, mix the flour, 1 cup of sugar, 1 teaspoon of cinnamon, baking soda and salt. Mix buttermilk, egg and oil; stir into dry ingredients just enough to moisten. In a small bowl, combine remaining cinnamon and remaining sugar.
- Grease only the bottom of a 9 X 5 in. loaf pan. Place half of the dough in the pan; sprinkle with half of the cinnamon sugar. Gently roll out remaining dough and sprinkle with remaining cinnamon sugar; cut dough with a knife to turn.
- Bake for 45 to 50 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes before unmoulding on wire rack to cool completely.