I saved this recipe when I was trying to get better organized one day. That happens when I know what I’m looking for but can’t find it. Or maybe it’s just I mood, either way, I’m glad I saw this and had it on my mind to make as soon as I could. I knew it would be super good and it was! Here is a peak at it, just out of the oven.
Give it a sprinkle of confectioners sugar and you could serve it right away but I chose to wait and add fresh strawberries just before serving.
This cake like cobbler is full of strawberries and much easier than cheesecake.
I know local strawberries are in season for just a short time but I will make this even in the winter since I am lucky and shop at a store that carries fresh strawberries all year.
- 1 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 1/2 cups +3 tablespoons sugar divided
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups whole milk
- 5 cups fresh strawberries, halved, divided
- Preheat oven to 375°. Pour melted butter into an 11×8 inch baking dish.
- In a medium bowl, beat cream cheese at medium speed until creamy. Add 3 tablespoons granulated sugar, beating until combined. Stir in vanilla.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, salt, and remaining 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar. Whisk in milk until smooth. Pour batter into prepared dish. Spoon 4 cups of the strawberry halves over batter; spoon heaping teaspoonfuls of cream cheese mixture over top.
- Cover with foil, and bake until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, 45 to 50 minutes, removing foil after 25 minutes. Sprinkle with confectioners’ sugar; serve warm or chilled
- Sprinkle a tablespoon of sugar over the remaining 1 cup of fresh strawberries and top each serving with a spoonful of the berries.