There are few things that can be considered more delightful than fresh, warm blueberry bread. It makes your house smell incredible and is the perfect thing to enjoy for breakfast or serve as a quick treat for guests.
Though I am still reveling in the fabulousness of the fall season and have been baking lots of my go-to pumpkin-y, apple-y and cinnamon-y treats lately, I’ve decided to switch it up a bit today and share my recipe for surprisingly simple and unbelievably delicious blueberry lemon bread that you’re sure to enjoy at any time of the year.
This sweet blueberry bread is moist and can be topped with a yummy, sugary lemon glaze that people always go crazy for. In fact, this has become my most renowned quick bread recipe and a loaf never even lasts a full day in my house. This is definitely a personal favorite of mine, especially when blueberries are in season.
DELIGHTFUL BLUEBERRY BREAD
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3 tbsp. lemon juice
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour Plus 1 tbsp. for tossing blueberries
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries, tossed in 1 tbsp. flour to prevent sinking
- 3-4 tbsp. lemon juice
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp. lemon extract
- Preheat oven to 350o F
- Grease and lightly flour a loaf pan
- In a small bowl, toss 1 cup of blueberries in 1 tbsp. of flour.
- In a large bowl, beat together melted butter, sugar, lemon juice and eggs.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt.
- Mixing with an electric mixer, alternately add in small amount of dry ingredient mixture and 1/2 cup milk. Combine all ingredients throughly between additions.
- One fully combined, fold in flour-tossed blueberries.
- Pour batter into greased and floured loaf pan.
- Bake for 60-70 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool on a wire rack fro at least 20 minutes before removing loaf from pan.
- Store covered at room temperature for 3-4 days.
- While bread is baking, stir together lemon juice, sugar and lemon extract in a small bowl until sugar is dissolved and glaze forms.
- Allow to cool in refrigerator while bread bakes.
- Drizzle over warm blueberry bread.
As always, this recipe is quick and not at all too technical to whip up in a hurry. It’s as simple as tossing the batter together and taking just a few minutes to stir up the lemony glaze if you choose to add it. This bread is totally scrumptious with or without the sugary topping, and I guarantee that it’s sure to put a smile on the faces of whoever you serve it too!