There is no need to buy a can of soup that has sat on the market shelf for who knows how long and has a metallic taste. It’s super easy to make your own and it’s super healthy, completely adaptable to your own tastes. I use Italian seasoning. Sometimes, I add a bit more dried basil or oregano. Thyme is another herb that can used. Add more or less herbs to your taste; some like the veggie flavors to come through more so they use less herbs. Meat can be easily added, too. Brown some ground beef with the carrots, celery, and onion, draining the fat before adding the broth.
Vegetable soup is a four year old’s worst nightmare. There was no way on this planet I was going to get my child to eat an entire bowl of vegetable soup. No amount of telling him he’d be strong like the Hulk or fast like the Ninja Turtles would get him to eat it. He doesn’t like soup to begin with, so I was already fighting an uphill battle. I think he did manage to eat the carrots, potatoes, and drink the broth…I’ll consider that a win!
HOMEMADE VEGETABLE SOUP
- 2 1/2 Tablespoons (38 mL) olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cups (about 4) carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 1/4 cups (about 3 stalks) celery, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 cups (2 liters) low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth (or use 4, 14.5 oz. cans)
- 2 cans (14.5 ounces/800 g total) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 3 cups (about 3 medium sized) potatoes, peeled and diced 1/2" thick
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons (10 mL) dried Italian seasoning (or use whatever dried or fresh herbs you like)
- salt and ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 1/2 cups (225 g) frozen or fresh green beans, chopped
- 1 1/4 cups (220 g) frozen or fresh corn
- 1 cup (150 g) frozen or fresh peas
- Heat olive oil in a large stock pot over medium heat. Add the onions, carrots, and celery and saute for 3-4 minutes. Add the garlic and saute another 30 seconds to a minute.
- Pour in the broth (for a chunkier soup, use less broth, maybe only 6 cups; you can always add more later), and add the tomatoes, potatoes, bay leaves, Italian seasoning, and season with salt and pepper to taste. Bring the soup to a boil then add the green beans. Cover the pot and reduce the heat to a simmer over medium-high. Cook until the potatoes are tender, about 20-30 minutes.
- Add the peas and corn and heat an additional 5 minutes. Serve hot with crackers, if desired.