This is the season to pull out the slow cooker and take advantage of the leftovers from all the parties held during this season. Aside from sandwiches, one of the ways I like to reuse food is to prepare delicious soups. Besides, the weather is appropriate for this type of very tasty and filling dishes. Another benefit is that they can be frozen and used on other occasions. One of my favorites is ham soup with white beans, a recipe we have always made at home, with leftover ham and even its bone, to flavor more.
Ham and White Bean Soup
- 2 cups of diced ham and its bone if available
- 1 cup carrots diced
- 1 cup celery diced
- 1/2 cup white onion cut into small cubes
- 2 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 8 cups of Progresso™ Vegetable Stock
- 2 cups water
- 1 can of Progresso™ Cannellini Beans
- 1/2 cup finely chopped parsley
- Avoid darkening the screen while cooking this recipe.
- Add all the ingredients to the slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for an hour. If you are using raw beans, cook for 4 more hours.
- Serve hot and add parsley to taste
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
Goes best with cornbread and fries potatoes and onions.