I absolutely love egg salad. And I love it for several reasons. First, I love how easy it is to make. Just mix up a few ingredients, and you’ve got yourself a fab salad or sandwich. Second, I love how it fills me up when I eat it. One egg salad sandwich for lunch, and I’m not hungry in the slightest until dinner. And then third…well third is the mayonnaise. Need I say more? Y’all all know how much I love mayonnaise. This Southern-style Egg Salad Sandwich is one of my mom’s recipes, and it’s one I eat regularly for lunch. There’s nothing quite like a yummy egg salad sandwich to start your afternoon off in a banner direction.
Now, of course this egg salad has mayonnaise and boiled eggs, but it also has a few extra spices in it too. Beau Monde is one spice I use in this, and another is a little bit of celery salt.
The great thing about this salad is the fact that you can adjust all the ingredients pretty much to taste. I happen to like a little more mayonnaise than some (you’d never have guessed, right?) But if you’d rather go lighter on the mayo, just add and stir slowly until you reach a consistency you like.
When I make up this egg salad, I always toast my bread. I don’t know why – but I just do. And although this recipe is for an egg salad sandwich, I love eating this egg salad on a bed of lettuce too! I just chop up whatever lettuce I have on hand, add in some sliced tomatoes, and top with the egg salad.
Hope you enjoy!
- 1/4 teaspoon celery salt
- 1 1/2 tablespoons diced onion
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1/4 teaspoon Beau Monde seasoning
- 3 tablespoons diced sweet pickles
- 4-6 slices of toasted bread
- 1/2 teaspoon yellow mustard
- 6 boiled eggs diced
- In a medium bowl, combine diced egg, diced onion, mayonnaise, and mustard. Mix well.
- Add celery salt, salt and pepper, Beau Monde, and sweet pickles.
- Stir to completely combine all ingredients.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- When serving, line a slice of bread with egg salad, and top with a second slice.