Sometimes you feel like you need a snack. Then you open you cupboard and have to make a decision. Do you want salty? Sweet? Spicy? How about all of the above? A few months ago a friend introduced me to the idea of Curry Candied Pecans and couldn’t stop at just one. The flavour notes hit everywhere on the palette and they’re actually super easy to make. Not only are they easy to make, they’re also a lot healthier for you than other processed snacks. Here’s my recipe for these tasty little flavour bombs.
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 3/4 tsp kosher salt for the seasoning mix
- 3/4 tsp kosher salt for the pan
- 3/4 tsp curry powder
- 1 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/4 tsp white sugar
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 3 cups of Pecans
- Preheat the oven to 250F
- Line a baking sheet with foil or wax paper
- In a bowl mix the cayenne pepper, onion powder, 3/4 tsp kosher salt, garlic powder and curry powder.
- In a sauce pan (large enough to help the pecans) heat the butter, syrup, sugar and remaining salt. Once the mixture is all melted and mixed add the pecans. Toss the pecans until coated in the liquid.
- Once coated, remove from heat and add the seasoning mix. Toss until the mix is evenly coated on the pecans.
- Put the pecans on the baking sheet in a single layer and put in the oven.
- Bake for 40 minutes at 250F.
- Once done, remove from oven and allow to cool.
- You can enjoy right away or store at room temp in an air tight container.
This is the perfect snack for watching tv, sharing a few drinks with friends or even to class up a cheese plate. If you don’t have maple syrup, you can sub it for honey and leave out the white sugar. However this being maple syrup season it’s the perfect time to try out this recipe. Just hit up your local sugar shack for the good stuff! If you’re unsure of if you have a sugar shack nearby or unsure where one is, there’s a helpful directory for ones in Ontario. If you like what you see please share with your friends and let me know how yours went in the comment section.