I already have a delicious enchilada recipe on here, but I am not against trying out new things. Think of it as being similar to buying a new pair of shoes. This particular recipe is a lot different than the first enchilada recipe. The original one is seasoned chicken with a spicy sauce & cheese then followed by more sauce & cheese. This is the creamy version, you use cream cheese in the filling and then load the top with some heavy cream and cheese.
The other difference is that this is a much quicker version. It came together in no time, the longest part was waiting for the whole dish to cook. I had prepared even further by cooking the chicken beforehand over the weekend. It is not necessarily the best dish for your thighs, but if you can handle splurging for one night I don’t think you will be disappointed. I love to cook Mexican and I honestly can’t decide which of these enchiladas is better. Guess it will depend on my mood.
I will be making my first enchilada recipe that I posted for dinner on Thursday for Cinco de Mayo. If you need some ideas on celebrating Cinco de Mayo later this week, here are some other Mexican inspired dishes, I wish I could make them all for dinner. Enjoy!
Creamy Chicken Enchiladas
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 tbsp butter
- 4 oz can chopped green chiles
- 3 ½ cups cooked chicken chopped
- 8 oz softened cream cheese
- 8 8 inch flour tortillas
- 16 oz 4 cups Monterey Jack cheese
- 2 cups Heavy Cream
- 1 7oz salsa verde
- Sauté Onion in butter add green chiles and sauté 1 minute. Stir in chicken and cream cheese. Cook until cream cheese melts. Arrange Tortillas on work surface and spoon 2-3 tbsp of chicken mixture down the center of each. Roll tortillas to enclose and place them seam down in a lightly greased 9×13 baking dish. Sprinkle with cheese and drizzle with cream. Bake @ 350 for 30-45 minutes until bubbly and brown. Serve with salsa.