This Cheesy Breakfast Casserole recipe was in this month’s Rachael Ray magazine, in a pull-out section entitled “Casseroles”. Every recipe in this little booklet looks so delicious, I want to try them all.
I went a little simpler with Cheesy Breakfast Casserole. The casserole has all the ingredients of a classic Croque Monsieur: Cheese, ham, eggs, bread. I used these classic ingredients (with a cheese substitution) and then went crazy at the end and served it with syrup. Sometimes I out do myself.
I made only a few small changes to the inspiration recipe. I changed the cheese to Monterey Jack and used slightly more butter and slightly less mustard. Rachael’s recipe calls for 2 tablespoons of mustard and I probably used half that, though I kept the same amount in the written recipe above. I would say go with what your family likes as far as mustard amounts.
Cheesy Breakfast Casserole
- 1 day-old baguette or loaf of french bread 12 oz., cut into 20 slices (toast lightly if bread is fresh)
- 3 tablespoons butter melted
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 9 ounces Monterey Jack cheese shredded
- 8 ounces thinly sliced Black Forest ham
- 4 eggs
- 1¼ cups milk use whatever milk you have on hand, I used 2% milk
- Salt and pepper
- syrup for serving
- Cut half of the bread into ½ inch pieces. Place in large bowl and pour melted butter over it and stir until bread is moistened.
- Spread Dijon mustard on the remaining slices of bread. Lay the bread on bottom of greased casserole dish. If you need to, overlap pieces. Sprinkle ½ cup of cheese on top of bread. Fold slices of ham in half and layer evenly on top of cheese. Sprinkle ½ of the remaining cheese over the ham. Cover all with the chopped pieces of bread and then with remaining cheese.
- Mix together eggs, milk, and a pinch of salt and pepper. Pour over the casserole and let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes to an hour.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Bake until lightly brown and bubbly on top, about 25-35 minutes. Let cool for at least 5 minutes before serving. Serve with your favorite syrup on the side.