Are you planning a meetup at the weekend and deciding on Mexican Tortilla Casserole in the menu? Do you know the recipe? Maybe not that is why you are on this blog. The recipe card on this blog is an easy-to-follow recipe and, you can skip or add some of the ingredients (mentioned as optional). An interesting fact about this recipe is that you can cook it before the gathering date as well. Freeze it and on the day, bake it before serving.
Mexican Tortilla Casserole
- Olive oil extra virgin oil 1 tbsp
- Yellow onion 1 large size chopped
- Garlic paste or thinly sliced garlic 1 medium garlic clove
- Powdered cumin 1 tsp
- Red chilli powder 1 ½ tsp
- Canned fire-roasted tomatoes 14 ounces; ¼ cup tomato juice reserved
- Tomato paste substitute ketchup ¼ cup
- Black or pinto beans drained 15 ounce
- Frozen corn 1 ½ cups
- Spinach finely chopped 3 cups
- Corn tortillas 8
- Salt black pepper
- Monterey jack cheddar or Mexican blend cheese (2 cups)
- Optional ingredients: Cilantro salsa, sour cream, jalapenos
- To start making Mexican tortillas, first, pre-heat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. As you need to bake before serving. Now apply oil on the baking pan (use cooking spray).
- Now, put a pan on flame and add olive oil. Heat it on medium flame and then add chopped onion, garlic paste, grounded cumin, and red chilli powder. Keep stirring until onions appear translucent, and the spices produce an aroma. Stirring time may be three to five minutes. Now, add tomatoes, reserved tomato juice, ketchup (or tomato paste), drained beans, corn and finely chopped fresh spinach. Keep stirring and cooking for another 2 minutes. Spinach appears soft and, the corn has thawed. Add some salt (as per taste) and black pepper (as required).
- Layer 2 corn tortillas in the bottom of the oiled baking pan, and add the next layer of bean mixture. Spread the mixture properly. Now sprinkle cheese on the beans. Repeat same with all the left ingredients until all are used. Finishing sprinkles should be of cheese.
- Now place the dish into the microwave oven and bake until the ingredients are cooked. It may take twenty minutes. Now take out the dish and let it cool. Cooling may take five minutes. After cooled down, cut into pieces.
- Now sprinkle some toppings using the ingredients listed as optional.
- Can I add meat to the recipe?
Yes, you can add meat to the recipe. It adds more flavour and nutrition.
- How can I freeze for storing?
You should divide the ingredients into individual portions and then freeze for storing.
- How to reheat before serving?
You should use plastic wrap or any other thing to cover the ingredients, and then put it in the microwave for 60-90 seconds. Heat until it’s hot in the middle.
Enjoy your meal with beverages like Pina Collada; Mint margarita to add more pleasure to every bite. Comment if you are confusing any instructions or have any other questions.
All your recipes sound delicious can’t wait to try them!