the Walking Taco Casserole. If you haven’t heard of it before, it’s a delicious twist on traditional tacos that’s perfect for a quick and easy dinner.
I first heard about this recipe from a friend and I was intrigued by the name. The idea behind a walking taco is that you take all the ingredients of a taco and put them in a single serving bag of chips, so you can eat it on the go. The casserole takes that concept and turns it into a baked dish that’s perfect for a family dinner or a big group of friends.
I was so excited to give this recipe a try, so I went to the grocery store and gathered all the ingredients I needed. I was a little apprehensive about the combination of ingredients, but I trusted my friend’s recommendation and I’m so glad I did. The result was a delicious, cheesy, and flavorful dish that everyone loved!
To start, I preheated my oven and browned some ground beef in a large skillet. I then added in some diced onions and a can of RO-TEL, which is a spicy blend of diced tomatoes and green chilies. I let that cook for a few minutes and then mixed in my homemade taco seasoning, which was a blend of chili powder, cumin, salt, pepper, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, red pepper flakes, and oregano.
Next, I added a little water to the skillet and let everything simmer for a few minutes. Then, I sprinkled on a generous amount of freshly grated sharp cheddar cheese and popped the skillet into the oven. I was so excited to see the cheese melt and bubble, and I could smell the delicious aroma wafting through my kitchen.
Once the cheese was melted and bubbly, I took the skillet out of the oven and added a layer of corn chips on top of the cheese. I then topped the casserole with some shredded lettuce, halved cherry tomatoes, sliced green onions, diced cilantro, and a dollop of sour cream and salsa. The final result was a delicious, cheesy, and flavorful dish that was a hit with everyone.
I have to say, this Walking Taco Casserole is one of the most fun and unique dishes I’ve ever made. The combination of flavors and textures was amazing, and it was so easy to put together. The best part was that everyone loved it, and I couldn’t believe how quickly it disappeared.
In conclusion, if you’re looking for a fun and delicious twist on traditional tacos, then the Walking Taco Casserole is a must-try. It’s perfect for a quick and easy dinner, a big family gathering, or a fun night in with friends. I hope you give this recipe a try and let me know what you think in the comments below.
Walking Taco Bake
Taco Seasoning Mix:
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 medium yellow onion diced
- 1 can of RO-TEL original undrained
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 cups freshly grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 3 cups corn chips
- 1 jalapeno optional – sliced and diced to taste
- 1 cup shredded lettuce
- 8 cherry tomatoes halved
- 2 green onions sliced
- 2 tbsp diced cilantro
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup salsa
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C).
- In a small bowl, mix together the ingredients for the taco seasoning.
- In a large oven-safe skillet over medium heat, cook the ground beef and onions until the beef is browned (about 10 minutes). Remove any excess fat.
- Add the taco seasoning mix, water, and RO-TEL to the skillet and sprinkle the cheese on top. Bake for 10 minutes or until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
- While the casserole is baking, prepare the toppings.
- Once the casserole is done, add the corn chips on top of the melted cheese and garnish with the lettuce, tomatoes, green onions, jalapeno, sour cream, and salsa.